UDP Reservation Strategies

MattG

Hey, everyone!

I am brand new to both cruising and this blog and I have so many questions.

My wife and I are sailing on Anthem out of NJ in May on an 11-Night Transatlantic Cruise. We purchased the Deluxe Beverage Package, Unlimited Dining Package, and the Voom Surf + Stream Package.

My first question relates to the UDP (which is why I am posting here).

I looked through the app to try to check out how to reserve dining times. However, I discovered (as many here note) that you cannot reserve these with the UDP until you are on board. Not the best system as it creates a mad dash for people who are meant to be beginning a relaxing vacation, but fair enough. However, it also appears that Wonderland is entirely booked already for the every night of the 11-Night cruise. Now, I am okay with it if I just can't eat there because I missed out. But, I am curious if more time slots open up later, if we should possibly try showing up without reservations, or some other angle. Is this something that is common on these cruises? Honestly, I ask mostly because this is making me concerned about my UDP purchase because the whole point was to not have to worry about these things as much and now I feel like there is no reason to keep this package if this is going to just happen to every specialty restaurant in the coming month or so as we approach the cruise (i.e., it doesn't matter if I have UDP if I can't get a reservation at any of the specialty restaurants).

I hope this makes sense.

Thank you.

2 hours ago, Clam Diggity said:

Hey, everyone!

I am brand new to both cruising and this blog and I have so many questions.

My wife and I are sailing on Anthem out of NJ in May on an 11-Night Transatlantic Cruise. We purchased the Deluxe Beverage Package, Unlimited Dining Package, and the Voom Surf + Stream Package.

My first question relates to the UDP (which is why I am posting here).

I looked through the app to try to check out how to reserve dining times. However, I discovered (as many here note) that you cannot reserve these with the UDP until you are on board. Not the best system as it creates a mad dash for people who are meant to be beginning a relaxing vacation, but fair enough. However, it also appears that Wonderland is entirely booked already for the every night of the 11-Night cruise. Now, I am okay with it if I just can't eat there because I missed out. But, I am curious if more time slots open up later, if we should possibly try showing up without reservations, or some other angle. Is this something that is common on these cruises? Honestly, I ask mostly because this is making me concerned about my UDP purchase because the whole point was to not have to worry about these things as much and now I feel like there is no reason to keep this package if this is going to just happen to every specialty restaurant in the coming month or so as we approach the cruise (i.e., it doesn't matter if I have UDP if I can't get a reservation at any of the specialty restaurants).

I hope this makes sense.

Thank you.

I wouldn't call it a "mad dash" for people to get reservations on the first day.  Just stop by the closest specialty restaurant and get it take care of.  It's not as stressful as you might imagine.  There will be slots at the restaurants once you get on board as long as you reserve the first day.  What's showing up now is just what's available for people buying individual nights.

Enjoy  our amazing cruise!

Question for everyone, I'm in a party of 10, we all have the UDP, and I have everyone's reservation linked to mine. Can I go to a specialty restaurant and create reservations everynight for everyone? We all want to sit together, yes I know it's a very large group. I would make a list I could just show the host. What are the odds that we all could sit next to each other?

2 hours ago, Clam Diggity said:

it also appears that Wonderland is entirely booked already for the every night of the 11-Night cruise.

I would bet that this is either a glitch or, for some reason, they are blocking out Wonderland bookings at the moment.  I do not believe that Wonderland would be fully booked for an 11 night TA.  I would be willing to bet that you will find plenty of availability once you board.  Wonderland just isn’t that popular…

47 minutes ago, YouthD said:

Question for everyone, I'm in a party of 10, we all have the UDP, and I have everyone's reservation linked to mine. Can I go to a specialty restaurant and create reservations everynight for everyone? We all want to sit together, yes I know it's a very large group. I would make a list I could just show the host. What are the odds that we all could sit next to each other?

I think it's up to the venue on whether you can do a "10-top" or if you have to stay split up. This a great question for each restaurant after you book. 

From advice on this board, i've put together a chart/table to organize restaurant bookings. When we get about 2 weeks out, i'm going to sync with my other party members on venues, menus, and pitch my proposed schedule, and make adjustments. Once we get on-board, I go to a specialty host stand with this table and lock in our reservations.

Semi-related: UDP vets, feel free to critique my Oasis-based UDP plan!

dining.PNG

They(host stand) may also want cabin numbers.  

You purchase the UDP to save $$$. As mention above you still can't prebook reservations on the yet.  So get your list together (1st and 2nd choices along with times)and go to one of the specialty restaurants as soon as you board and place your order. You may also want to see what's being offered in the MDR each night, to see if you'd like to eat there a night or 2. 

On 3/25/2022 at 12:19 PM, SpeedNoodles said:

I wouldn't call it a "mad dash" for people to get reservations on the first day.  Just stop by the closest specialty restaurant and get it take care of.  It's not as stressful as you might imagine.  There will be slots at the restaurants once you get on board as long as you reserve the first day.  What's showing up now is just what's available for people buying individual nights.

Enjoy  our amazing cruise!

On 3/25/2022 at 12:51 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

I would bet that this is either a glitch or, for some reason, they are blocking out Wonderland bookings at the moment.  I do not believe that Wonderland would be fully booked for an 11 night TA.  I would be willing to bet that you will find plenty of availability once you board.  Wonderland just isn’t that popular…

Thank you both so much! That is such a relief to me because I really mostly bought the drink and dining packages to reduce the stress of everything. I greatly appreciate it and can't wait to explore this new world of cruising! 🙂