Options for removing child from reservation?

Snowchaser

I'll try not to make this too long but here is our scenario.

We typically pull our kids (8 & 17yo) out of school the last week in April and do a family trip somewhere as our local town has a pretty big festival which gets the kids a shortened school week.  We had Freedom out of San Juan booked April 21 for a steal of a price which was then L&S to Symphony out of Miami for April 22 which was much more expensive but done as an even swap.  Now my oldest ,who is a senior, is stressing about missing 3 days of classes (seriously, who takes AP calc🤨) and is considering not going. 

What changes with my reservation if she doesn't go and what options do I have to keep my price close to what I already have booked? 

It is possible that dropping her could cause your current booking to be repriced - but not always and probably not if she was the 4th in a room.  Check with your TA or Royal.

If there is a price change, you could also just have her "no show" at check in.  You would keep your current deal and be refunded the port fees and taxes you paid for her.

If she is the 4th passenger in your room you should be able remove her at any point prior to final payment and you won't have to pay for her. She needs to 100% commit to not going if you end up doing this.

Otherwise you no show her at the pier and your price won't change. You will actually get port fees and taxes back for her after the cruise.

I think the fact that your 17 year old daughter is taking advanced placement calculus and is stressed out about missing classes rather then going on a cruise speaks volumes about how you raised her, work ethic and personal goals. Great job parents. Congratulations, that choice should be celebrated, what an amazing young woman. I would just no show her, just in case the situation presents itself that everything works in a way she feels comfortable going. Otherwise cheers to you, you should be super proud parents. 

Great, thanks everyone for the info!  I guess I hadn't thought about just making her a no show but that's a good idea if Royal wants a fare increase for dropping her.  I was getting a little nervous with current prices for our booking at almost triple what we paid.  I will give Royal a call and see what they say.

17 hours ago, Neesa said:

I think the fact that your 17 year old daughter is taking advanced placement calculus and is stressed out about missing classes rather then going on a cruise speaks volumes about how you raised her, work ethic and personal goals. Great job parents. Congratulations, that choice should be celebrated, what an amazing young woman. I would just no show her, just in case the situation presents itself that everything works in a way she feels comfortable going. Otherwise cheers to you, you should be super proud parents. 

14 hours ago, KLA said:

As someone who went to college for Engineering - I *wish* I had done this. Good for her! 

Thank you for the kind words!  In reality almost all her classes are AP, so that with also trying to decide on a university for next year really has been a bit much.  I really don't know where she gets her drive from as her parents were average students at best🙂.  I kind of wish she would throw a party while were gone........but I think there is about a 0% chance of that happening. LOL

9 hours ago, Snowchaser said:

Thank you for the kind words!  In reality almost all her classes are AP, so that with also trying to decide on a university for next year really has been a bit much.  I really don't know where she gets her drive from as her parents were average students at best🙂.  I kind of wish she would throw a party while were gone........but I think there is about a 0% chance of that happening. LOL

Sounds like a good kid with a bright future. 😀

9 hours ago, Snowchaser said:

Great, thanks everyone for the info!  I guess I hadn't thought about just making her a no show but that's a good idea if Royal wants a fare increase for dropping her.  I was getting a little nervous with current prices for our booking at almost triple what we paid.  I will give Royal a call and see what they say.

I know her type of student very well...and my best recommendation: have her talk to her teachers about getting assignments to take on the trip. There is a lot of stress in the coming months she will face and having a getaway could be really useful for helping her recharge her batteries, reduce some of the stress and help keep her from burning out.