Thoughts on upgrading...

2XPCV

Hey all!

Just looking for some opinions on whether to upgrade my room on an upcoming cruise.

I currently have an interior stateroom at the back of the ship (assigned from the 'guarantee' room).

Now there's a Promenade Stateroom mid-ship open up that would be about $800 or so more, but, assuming I can get the onboard credit for the WOW Sale, that's effectively $600 more, as I'm sure I'll spend at least $200 onboard.

I've never been on a ship with the promenades, so I'm not sure if this upgrade is worth it.

Thoughts??

Thanks in advance!

While I have not stayed in a Promenade room, I don't imagine its worth $800. That would prob double your total cost from what you paid for you inside guar room?!

While a view of the promenade would be cool, unless you spend lots of time in your room, I cant see paying that much more. You could prob book a 2nd cruise for $800 in an inside room somewhere.

For me, I would prefer quantity of cruises over quality of room in this case.

Unless I am missing something amazing about these rooms?

Often a balcony room isn't $800 more than an inside room per person.

If you are unhappy with the location of your room and it was a guarantee, I would check and see if you can move.

That is often possible with a guarantee as long as you remain in the same category.

I also agree with the others.  I don't believe it would be worth the money (to me, anyway) to move from an inside to a Promenade for either $600 or $800.

It's worth a phone call though.  Maybe they would upgrade you for less if they have unsold Promenade rooms.  Can''t hurt to ask !

How far off is your cruise? I've had cases where I've booked a Promenade cabin and managed to get a free or cheap (about $30 total) upgrade to a balcony cabin by taking advantage of a (very) last minute upgrade (done about three or four days before sailing).

It's a game, and you might not win, but if you're willing to stick with your existing cabin at worst, and possibly take a chance on getting something better later on, it may be worth periodically checking the prices. The general rule is that if a higher category cabin is priced at or below what you already paid for your existing cabin, you can ask for a free upgrade. (If the price is higher than what you paid, you can upgrade by paying the difference.)

By the way, another option you have is that once you're cabin is assigned, people have reported being able to change into another cabin that's the exact same category as what you were assigned. If, for example, you were placed into an "N" cabin, and you don't like the location, you may be able to switch to another "N" cabin elsewhere on the ship.

Note that these guidelines are based on experiences from US bookings. If you are booked in another country, your rules may be quite different.

This is of course just my opinion, and how I value things, but I wouldn't spend the extra money.  As a personal rule of thumb, I'll upgrade major cats (inside to oceanview, oceanview to verandah) if the cost difference is less than $200 for a 7 night sailing.  To me, $800 could cover the better part of another 4 or 5 night sailing for my wife and I, and I care about another cruise far more than I care about seeing the promenade from a slightly different angle.

Absolutely agree on the above comments.  By the way there is a 4 day WOW sale going on. You might want to put that 800 towards another interior  room on another cruise  and have it cost you very little.  Just a thought.    I too like the idea of an extra cruise for a small amount of money when at all possible.