Canceling 1 of 4 People

After my cancelled May 2020 cruise, I haven't visited the boards and have missed this friendly group.

Surely, more normal cruising will be back by June 2022. . .LOL 

Anyway, I am going to roll the dice and am on the verge of booking an Alaskan cruise in a Grand Suite. The plan is to take my mom and college age daughter and son.  I am thinking about the possibilities if my son were to get a job or something unexpected happened to one of the four of us prior to final payment. So much can happen in a year. Other than loosing the deposit for the fourth person, what would happen in regard to the cruise fare? IDK if this makes a difference, but the fare structure at the moment is 60% off the second person and 30% off the 3rd and 4th. Thanks for any help!

You should be able to book for just 3 people and that will lock in the 3rd person rate for any additional passengers, so you could add your son later at final payment time when you are more sure that he will be going.  The only potential snag there is if the cruise hits capacity in some way they wouldn't allow you to add an additional person.  Basically, once there's no more room left on the lifeboat for the rooms in that area, they can't add another.

The amount owed would be reduced by the 3rd+ person rate. Plus the deposit from the 4th person would roll towards payment for the sailing.

Simplified example: Person 1 and 2 are $2000 each, person 3 and 4 $1000 each. Deposit $250 per person/$1000 total. Cruise rate $4000 with $1000 deposit paid, owed amount $3000. Person 4 drops, new rate $3000 with a $1000 deposit, owed amount $2000.

14 hours ago, CGTLH said:

The amount owed would be reduced by the 3rd+ person rate. Plus the deposit from the 4th person would roll towards payment for the sailing.

Simplified example: Person 1 and 2 are $2000 each, person 3 and 4 $1000 each. Deposit $250 per person/$1000 total. Cruise rate $4000 with $1000 deposit paid, owed amount $3000. Person 4 drops, new rate $3000 with a $1000 deposit, owed amount $2000.

Thanks so much! I was concerned they would reprice at the current rate.

14 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

You should be able to book for just 3 people and that will lock in the 3rd person rate for any additional passengers, so you could add your son later at final payment time when you are more sure that he will be going.  The only potential snag there is if the cruise hits capacity in some way they wouldn't allow you to add an additional person.  Basically, once there's no more room left on the lifeboat for the rooms in that area, they can't add another.

Thank you! This is a good idea, but I think this would be too risky for me as I am a worrier. But I will keep this in mind for the future.

15 minutes ago, luv2sail said:

Thanks so much! I was concerned they would reprice at the current rate.

The benefit of booking 3+ people is it locks in the rates.  If you book 2 and add more, I believe that will trigger a reprice.  In general, it's better to book the max that might travel.  As AshleyDillo mentioned, sometimes it's not possible to add people to a room even when the room can technically sleep more.