Anthem - PreBooking Shows and Headliners

We have a cruise in March so guessing in end of the year or early 2020 we'll be able to book our shows.  Anthem has 3 shows you can book.

My question is....how do you pre-book when you have no idea when the headliner shows and other acts (comedy, etc) will run?  We did pre-book shows on Symphony but there was no headliner and I could tell based on when the main theatre was free (plus a lot was bookable).  For Anthem it's different as I think the shows are held in main theatre and 270.

PS - There is one 7 night Bahamas cruise compass posted on this site, but I also found a couple others for last March and their shows are completely different times. So I can't really go by the existing compasses online.

@WannaCruise, to the best of my knowledge the headliners don't typically perform in Two70, just the main theater. Two of the bookable shows -- We Will Rock You and The Gift -- are both shown in the main theater and should never conflict with any headliner acts booked for your sailing. Spectra's Cabaret is shown in Two70 and may conflict, but the show is performed at both 7 PM and 9 PM on the days it's offered; that should still allow you see any headliner since those also typically have an early and a late performance.

The only conflict I think could arise is if you want to see a late "adults only" showing for a comedian. But even there I think they schedule those more around 10:30, which will be after the second showing of Spectra has finished.

Your best bet is to probably book the 3 shows now to save your spots and make any adjustments onboard.

We were on Anthem in August and we booked the 3 shows beforehand on the Cruise Planner. Fortunately, Anthem was just added to the RC app. We wound up changing all 3 reservations through the app once we saw the Cruise Compass onboard. On the app, there is a digital version of the Cruise Compass - including all the times for the bookable shows. It will preload all of your reservations that you made on Cruise Planner. If show reservations are available,  it will say "Reserve Now". You can cancel your previous reservation and (quickly) reserve the new showtime - all through the RC app.

We must've canceled, booked, re-booked the showtimes through the app at least 5 different times to make our day and dining work.

Hope this helps!

31 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

@WannaCruise, to the best of my knowledge the headliners don't typically perform in Two70, just the main theater. Two of the bookable shows -- We Will Rock You and The Gift -- are both shown in the main theater and should never conflict with any headliner acts booked for your sailing. Spectra's Cabaret is shown in Two70 and may conflict, but the show is performed at both 7 PM and 9 PM on the days it's offered; that should still allow you see any headliner since those also typically have an early and a late performance.

The only conflict I think could arise is if you want to see a late "adults only" showing for a comedian. But even there I think they schedule those more around 10:30, which will be after the second showing of Spectra has finished.

Thank you!  That helps.  So only Spectra is in Two70.  We'll be on Anthem with our kids and so we would want to see the shows in the 7:30pm - 9:30pm range (only adult comedy, etc would be fine for 10pm or later)....and of course, working around dinner too which I think is 5:30pm.  I think I've noticed that We WIll Rock You sometimes playa at odd times depending on the cruise ...like 6:30pm or so...so guess there could be a 9pm headliner?  

It's like a puzzle where you don't have all the pieces, trying to figure out what to book when, and of course, fitting in to your dinner and time preference. But that helps...so most likely the nights when The Gift and WWRY is not playing.

24 minutes ago, RockerDom31 said:

Your best bet is to probably book the 3 shows now to save your spots and make any adjustments onboard.

We were on Anthem in August and we booked the 3 shows beforehand on the Cruise Planner. Fortunately, Anthem was just added to the RC app. We wound up changing all 3 reservations through the app once we saw the Cruise Compass onboard. On the app, there is a digital version of the Cruise Compass - including all the times for the bookable shows. It will preload all of your reservations that you made on Cruise Planner. If show reservations are available,  it will say "Reserve Now". You can cancel your previous reservation and (quickly) reserve the new showtime - all through the RC app.

We must've canceled, booked, re-booked the showtimes through the app at least 5 different times to make our day and dining work.

Hope this helps!

Very frustrating but hope you got it all to work!  You never know too if your desired rebooking time is available.  

I've noticed in other cruises as well that the RC app isn't always accurate, but it's a good gauge to getting a preview of when things should be scheduled.. Thank you!

46 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

So only Spectra is in Two70.

There will, most likely, also be a Tribute Band on your sailing and they generally will perform in both the Music Hall and 270 so there is usually at least 1 additional performance in 270 besides Spectra’s Cabaret.

I concur with RockerDom31 that I find it easiest to book you meals around shows rather than the other way around.  So, I recommend you book the shows you can book in advance and eat around them. You have much more flexibility for dining options than you do with entertainment options.

55 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

There will, most likely, also be a Tribute Band on your sailing and they generally will perform in both the Music Hall and 270 so there is usually at least 1 additional performance in 270 besides Spectra’s Cabaret.

I concur with RockerDom31 that I find it easiest to book you meals around shows rather than the other way around.  So, I recommend you book the shows you can book in advance and eat around them. You have much more flexibility for dining options than you do with entertainment options.

Lol...to add to the uncertainty.  Good to keep in mind then.  Thanks.

We actually have traditional dining so 5:30pm every night (except one night where we have a later excursion booked).  Hopefully it's early enough to be flexible with the show times (Or if our cruising gets the 6:30pm showing of WWRY, then guess another time we'll need to find alternate dinner)

When we cruised Anthem, we had an early dinner seating as well. Just inform your waiter that you want to make the show, and they will push your meal out faster for you. I also believe WWRY has two shows per night too to wrap around the MDR seatings.

like others said, we pre-booked the three main shows ahead of time and then adjusted as needed. (Feel free to skip The Gift, you won’t miss much)

The bands in the music hall are very good too. They swap during the week, so it isn’t the same one the whole time, so you get multiple options.

Also, we were able to make two shows back-to-back on a sea day: WWRY and Spectra's. I believe WWRY started at 6p and Spectra at 8p. We had a quick Windjammer dinner at 5:30 and there was about 20 mins between shows - plenty of time to walk from the Royal Theater, grab a quick slice of pizza and a beer, and head to 270.

10 minutes ago, emsff02 said:

When we cruised Anthem, we had an early dinner seating as well. Just inform your waiter that you want to make the show, and they will push your meal out faster for you. I also believe WWRY has two shows per night too to wrap around the MDR seatings.

like others said, we pre-booked the three main shows ahead of time and then adjusted as needed. (Feel free to skip The Gift, you won’t miss much)

The bands in the music hall are very good too. They swap during the week, so it isn’t the same one the whole time, so you get multiple options.

Lol...have heard strange things about The Gift but definitely want to see all production shows.

Also for shows, especially WWRY, I like to get there 45 min early to try and get a good seat (but with The Key and suite seating, it makes it harder to get close up...when we have neither).

4 minutes ago, RockerDom31 said:

Also, we were able to make two shows back-to-back on a sea day: WWRY and Spectra's. I believe WWRY started at 6p and Spectra at 8p. We had a quick Windjammer dinner at 5:30 and there was about 20 mins between shows - plenty of time to walk from the Royal Theater, grab a quick slice of pizza and a beer, and head to 270.

Neat that you made both shows work when you had to.  That's a short time between dinner and show start time. ?

23 minutes ago, emsff02 said:

They'll swap on the longer sailings, but on the 5-night Bermuda sailings it seems the same band is there for the whole trip. We had The Royal Swedes last year, and this year we have... The Royal Swedes. ?

Not a bad band, but they're generic 80's / 90's / 00's covers instead of a tribute band like I've seen on other sailings. I guess it makes some sense, who wants to see the same tribute band three or four times on one sailing? But we do have an overnight in Bermuda; why not bring on band A for the first three nights, and band B for the next two nights plus start of the 9-night sailing that follows?

39 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

if our cruising gets the 6:30pm showing of WWRY

WWRY seems to have one "matinee" showing at 2:30 PM on one of the sea days; that's been the case on both of my 5-night Anthem sailings now, you should also have one somewhere along the way. It does mean you have to be willing to skip outdoor / pool time, trivia, and other events going on in the afternoon, but if you have the early dining time it does let you make it to dinner without issues.

@JLMoran I just noticed from your signature that you'll be on Anthem very soon!  That's exciting.

Our cruise is a 7 night Bahamas cruise .  The itinerary actually sucks, but we wanted to try Anthem and the date works well for our March break.  Don't mind seeing WWRY as a matinee.  Being in March out of NY, the start and end of our cruise won't be outdoor swimming time anyways. So it just depends on what's going on at the Sea Plex, and trivia stuff as you mention.  I've actually seen WWRY 5x in Toronto and love that musical so its a priority.  My DS too may even be ok with it (as often he skips out on musicals such as Hairspray and Mamma Mia)...so something we can enjoy together. I personally prefer dinner followed by a show, but if there's a matinee , then it may work out best time-wise.

Enjoy your upcoming cruise!

@WannaCruise book the 3 main shows first.  Work around it after.  It's not going to be the typical flow of Oasis class that you are used to.  No headliners the nights that WWRY and The Gift are showing.  Headliners in the main theater will fill the rest of the open slots. 270 will have Spectra and on nights where Spectra doesn't play, it will be some Vistarama or there were nights where it sat empty.

Another option is to email Royal's entertainment department.  They can probably give you a more specific answer as to who the scheduled headliner, comedian, etc. is.

web_reservations@rccl.com

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

@WannaCruise book the 3 main shows first.  Work around it after.  It's not going to be the typical flow of Oasis class that you are used to.  No headliners the nights that WWRY and The Gift are showing.  Headliners in the main theater will fill the rest of the open slots. 270 will have Spectra and on nights where Spectra doesn't play, it will be some Vistarama or there were nights where it sat empty.

Another option is to email Royal's entertainment department.  They can probably give you a more specific answer as to who the scheduled headliner, comedian, etc. is.

web_reservations@rccl.com

Thanks so much.  That helps.  Sounds like they try and make it so it works out.  I can try emailing them.  Guessing they won't know until closer to the cruise date (i.e.. long after the reservations become available in the cruise planner....hopefully).

Is Vistarama the tribute band that was mentioned?

7 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

Is Vistarama the tribute band that was mentioned?

No, Vistarama is Royal's name for the projection shows they sometimes will have in Two70. There are a few different ones -- a virtual fireworks show, a recording of a symphonic orchestra, and a recording of a blues / jazz band. You're basically watching a 30-45 minute video projected onto the back wall of Two70, where special screens are rolled down over the windows that provide the spectacular aft view during the day.

EDIT -- To be clear, it's a pretty amazing projection system. It spans the entire width of the rear windows as a seamless projection that's roughly IMAX size, 8K resolution IIRC or maybe only 4K. And the sound is equally impressive; not full surround, but a very good stereo with really clean sound even at high volumes.

4 hours ago, JLMoran said:

No, Vistarama is Royal's name for the projection shows they sometimes will have in Two70. There are a few different ones -- a virtual fireworks show, a recording of a symphonic orchestra, and a recording of a blues / jazz band. You're basically watching a 30-45 minute video projected onto the back wall of Two70, where special screens are rolled down over the windows that provide the spectacular aft view during the day.

EDIT -- To be clear, it's a pretty amazing projection system. It spans the entire width of the rear windows as a seamless projection that's roughly IMAX size, 8K resolution IIRC or maybe only 4K. And the sound is equally impressive; not full surround, but a very good stereo with really clean sound even at high volumes.

Sounds really neat!  Thanks for describing.  Will want to catch that one too.