cabin amenities

Kathy

Yes all cabins have them but I found they are not normal hair dryers. Because of the fear of fire I guess, the hair dryers have safety fuses within them. If you turn the hair dryer on high for more than a few minutes it will work until is heats up and then shuts down. The hair dryer will not work again until it has cooled off. Reynaline (my better half) found it to be too much work with her very long hair and just gave up.

• 3 weeks later...

We are from Australia going on the Voyager of the Seas in April. Is it worth taking your own hair dryer? Will they work on the ship? An ac adaptor would be required.

I'm a bit sceptical that they might not work as here in Australia we work on 220-240 volts on a lot of electrical items

You cannot take your own hair dryer, or iron, or coffee pot or anything that makes heat or open flame. It is all because of safety issues on the ship. If you try they will or should see on the scan of the baggage and it will be taken out and held. Plus you may also be required to make a trip to the security room. Better to just use the one that is provided. But to answer your ac power question the ships have 110 and 220 volt power in all the cabins. 

For some reason my "Quote" function is not working...so I am referring to Todd's entry above....

That may be true in Australia or the far east [no personal hair dryers allowed] but that is not the case on sailings out of the US.  I ALWAYS bring my own hairdryer b/c, as others have noted, the ones on the ship totally SUCK !  I have never been stopped or had it, in any way, suggested that I should not bring a hair dryer onboard. 

Irons and anything producing an open flame are, in fact, prohibited...but to my knowledge, hair dryers are not and never have been.

You cannot take your own hair dryer, or iron, or coffee pot or anything that makes heat or open flame. It is all because of safety issues on the ship. If you try they will or should see on the scan of the baggage and it will be taken out and held. Plus you may also be required to make a trip to the security room. Better to just use the one that is provided. But to answer your ac power question the ships have 110 and 220 volt power in all the cabins.

Hair dryers arre not on the prohibited item list:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=2608&faqSubjectId=333

Well really the are because it says:

Candles, Incense, Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Travel Steamers & Hot Plates. (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners. Matches and normal lighteners are allowed onboard. However "torch lighters" and novelty lighters that look like guns are not allowed onboard. Torch lighters emit a powerful concentrated flame, and therefore are prohibited.

It says "Items that generate heat" And then goes on to say say "NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners."  A hair dryer is not a curling iron or a hair Straightener.... the policy does not say curling irons, hair straighteners and hair dryers it says only exception to policy is. Then add that to generates heat, what is another name for Hair Dryer?  Heat Gun. 

Add this to the fact that I have walked by the table leaving cruises and seen them waiting for passengers. WAAAYTOOO who has far more Royal Cruise than I says he takes them on board. So just another case of the policy says one thing and they do other things, or different policies for different parts of the World, they just miss them in the scan, or WAAAYTOOO gets VIP service because of this status Cannot be sure.

You said you are in Asia and I know in the past they have not been allowed. I believe a reasonable reading of the policy also confirms this. But in the end it is up to the passenger to read and decide the choice they want to follow.

While "that generate heat" is a catch all phrase, I really think hair dryers would be listed if they were forbidden.  For example, they list HAM Radios as a forbidden item and I can't imagine that many people try to bring those on.

I really think this "catch all" phrase is meant to capture those unusual items.  Hair dryers are so common that I truly believe they would be listed if they were going to be routinely forbidden.