Basic questions re: working with a TA

ptod

I normally book my cruises direct with RC, however, I am considering working with a TA to book an upcoming cruise with 3 cabins as a test run for future cruises - one in particular that will likely total more than 10 cabins.

I haven't contacted any TA yet, but am looking for some general info on how working with a TA actually works.  I understand the basics - the TA owns the reservation, they may or may not kick in a perk for the trip, any changes to the reservation have to go thru the TA, etc.

People on various online forum suggest looking for a TA that has group space.  Am I going too far out on a limb assuming that the bigger the agency, the more group space they have?  If we use MEI as an example, would an agency that size usually have group space on some, most, all cruises with RC?  Is the answer the dreaded "it depends'?  Is group space usually found on the big ships, certain times of year or "it depends"?  The cruise I am looking at is in early 2021 so I am not close to the cutoff when TAs give back their unsold inventory.

I like to imagine that TAs live regular lives and occasionally go on their own vacations.  If we stick with MEI agents, do you find they generally have a backup agent when they are taking some time off?  Do they do what many others do and check work email while on vacation?  I know the true answer is "it depends".

TIA for any insights - I do have a MEI agent in mind to contact as way of saying thanks for the good info found on forum and MEI's sponsorship of same. 

On 7/13/2019 at 8:21 PM, ptod said:

Thanks for the responses.

I have reached out to an MEI agent and will see what happens.  Nothing ventured and all that..... 

Hi there

We hold a lot of group space and have a consortium we work with that has some too we can access
Its not every date - but its something your agent can easily look for if needed for you.

Nice thing is group rates (for 2 guests only) are always refundable deposits

@michelle - thank you for following up and providing more information on group space.

I think we lucked into a sailing that has group space and my friends and I are currently reviewing some very excellent quotes from the MEI agent.  Group space for 2 being refundable is something that I probably read somewhere along the way but it never stuck in my brain.  It was an added bonus showing on the options we were given.

I am glad I reached out for some guidance and have learned some new things along the way.

Thanks again everyone!