Royal Up Bid Program

Just got an invite to participate in the Royal Up Bid Program. We are sailing on Anthem Sept. 12, 2019.  Booked into a Balcony room.  Should I bid  and if so how much? I have 3 choices: Grand Suite with Sky Class $ 450 P.P.,  Junior Suite with Sea Class $ 200 P.P. , or a Spacious Ocean View Balcony $ 50 P.P.  Never have done this before.  How does it work?   Does my T.A. do the bidding or do I ?    Is it worth doing?   Do I get double points for Suites?    Thank you to everyone who may offer any and all info. 

3 minutes ago, fonemanbob said:

Does my T.A. do the bidding or do I ?

Either or. Up to you.

3 minutes ago, fonemanbob said:

Is it worth doing?

Possibly. Thing is, just because you got the email to bid doesn't mean there is an upgrade opportunity.

Just now, fonemanbob said:

How much should a person bid?   Is that in addition to what the upgrade will cost? 

There's no definitive number to quote you. You can see the minimum bid, and beyond that, it's up to you. I know plenty of folks who bid the minimum just to see what happens.

You would not double C&A points even if you got the GS. They are not awarding double cruise points for RoyalUp upgrades unless your original booking was eligible for double points.

The only one of these options that I would stay away from were it me, is the one for the spacious ocean view balcony.  I have read a number of situations where people who were already in balconies bid on a different category of balcony only to find out that it wasn’t really an upgrade at all.  I think you would be safe bidding on any of the higher level categories though.  Just keep in mind that you can’t move your assigned cabin if you win a RU upgrade. If you like the location of your current cabin and would not want to get stuck with an undesirable location then it might be best to not bid.  That being said, the locations of most full suites are pretty centralized. The only one where you might get stuck somewhere far forward or far aft would be the JS.

Can anyone confirm if they leave OBC credit alone if you win a bid?  For example if you reprice, say move from interior to balcony they will only give you the OBC available at the time (reprice).  WIth the bidding do they leave everything alone from an OBC standpoint?

6 minutes ago, marti314 said:

Can anyone confirm if they leave OBC credit alone if you win a bid?  For example if you reprice, say move from interior to balcony they will only give you the OBC available at the time (reprice).  WIth the bidding do they leave everything alone from an OBC standpoint?

Thank you.  Excellent question.

41 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

You would not double C&A points even if you got the GS. They are not awarding double cruise points for RoyalUp upgrades unless your original booking was eligible for double points.

The only one of these options that I would stay away from were it me, is the one for the spacious ocean view balcony.  I have read a number of situations where people who were already in balconies bid on a different category of balcony only to find out that it wasn’t really an upgrade at all.  I think you would be safe bidding on any of the higher level categories though.  Just keep in mind that you can’t move your assigned cabin if you win a RU upgrade. If you like the location of your current cabin and would not want to get stuck with an undesirable location then it might be best to not bid.  That being said, the locations of most full suites are pretty centralized. The only one where you might get stuck somewhere far forward or far aft would be the JS.

I thought you could switch it to the same category?  Not that there would be a ton of ssuites available.....  Just curious for, example balconies or is.  Jane

1 hour ago, mom2mybugs said:

I thought you could switch it to the same category?  Not that there would be a ton of ssuites available.....  Just curious for, example balconies or is.  Jane

Most RU upgrades are occurring close to sail date.  At that point there is little cabin selection available.  

If you get a balcony RU upgrade and are placed in a 2D balcony they might not allow you to move to an 8D balcony or vice versa.  

RU is also a tool for them to maximize muster station optimization so moving cabins might be restricted depending on muster capacity.

As far as I know, the “official” rule is that once you receive a RU cabin assignment, it is final (as opposed to other situations where you ARE able to change cabins within the same category), however, I have read of at least 1 situation where the RU winner claims that they were able to change their RU cabin assignment.  Who knows it it’s true.