Internet/facetime/package

Hi all,

I've never bought the "internet" packages on ship, because I like to vacation and disconnect from reality lol BUT...I need to ensure my daughter is able to face time a couple days while I"m gone, because she needs that type of comfort...Now my question is, do I need the surf and stream package? or just surf? Also, is the internet atleast decent without constant buffer all the time to allow for a few minutes of facetime? Lastly, I'm terrified about over charges from my cell company once I get off ship (I'm just paranoid).  If I buy the package, once on ship do I just connect to the ships wifi and be OK and not incur roaming charges from cell phone company? So many questions I know, but any advice will help...Thank you all again!

Surf and stream will handle the FaceTime better.  If your daughter is ok just with emails or using a text-based messaging program, you can go with just surf.

When you get onboard and have your Voom access code, just switch your phone into airplane mode.  This will keep you from roaming.  Then you need to make sure that your wifi is turned on and you'll connect to the ship's wifi.  You'll be directed to the login page to enter in the Voom access code.

I don't know the answer to the FaceTime question,  but the answer to cell charges is turn off your cellular in the settings and turn the phone on to airplane mode. Then you will be just using the ship wifi. No charges. 

Also, depending on your cell carrier you may have free wifi service in port and can use your phone for texting. Check with your carrier and enjoy the cruise.

1 hour ago, AshleyDillo said:

Surf and stream will handle the FaceTime better.  If your daughter is ok just with emails or using a text-based messaging program, you can go with just surf.

When you get onboard and have your Voom access code, just switch your phone into airplane mode.  This will keep you from roaming.  Then you need to make sure that your wifi is turned on and you'll connect to the ship's wifi.  You'll be directed to the login page to enter in the Voom access code.

Last summer with my Grandson we used WhatsApp to communicate with his Mom, voice and video with no buffering or any issues of any kind. We had the surf and stream package.

We pre setup a time every evening for him to check in, it worked out really great.

Agree with everyone else, turn your phone to airplane mode and you shouldn't get any roaming charges.

My carrier is AT&T, they have a plan where you turn on International usage, this was anticipating using my phone in port if needed, it was a $9.99 flat fee, per day of usage, If I didn't use it, I didn't get charged the fee, when we were in Jamaica I had to use my phone, when I got the bill I had one charge for $9.99.

1 hour ago, tiny260 said:

My carrier is AT&T, they have a plan where you turn on International usage, this was anticipating using my phone in port if needed, it was a $9.99 flat fee, per day of usage, If I didn't use it, I didn't get charged the fee, when we were in Jamaica I had to use my phone, when I got the bill I had one charge for $9.99.

I do this as well. Verizon was $10 per day on my last cruise. Might be the better/cheaper route if you can schedule your chats to when you're in port.