Tips on flights/getting to Port in Miami

We booked our cruise a few days ago, leaving Miami on April 21. I've started looking at flights, and it seems that flying into Ft Lauderdale is much cheaper than Miami. It's only about a half hour away, so we'll probably do that. 

I'm nervous not knowing what the right decisions are regarding a few things:

1. Not sure if I'm better off trying to book a hotel in Ft Lauderdale or in Miami

2. Not sure if I should rent a car, or just use taxi/Uber? There are 6 of us. If I rent a car, can it be rented in Ft Lauderdale and returned in Miami? 

3. If I don't rent a car, I will need to find a way back to the airport. 

The logistics seem overwhelming to me right now, as well as fear of the unknown. Just looking for other people's experience, and what they've done. 

1. Stay in Fort Lauderdale. It’s cheaper, less traffic and far less stressful then Miami. The beaches are nicer too!!

2. Uber is the best way to get around down here. The rental car might be more of a hassle for you. 

3. See answer # 2. 

Dont be overwhelmed, getting from Fort Lauderdale to Port of Miami is an easy 30 min ride on I-95 (especially if you are leaving on the weekend). 

57 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

1. Stay in Fort Lauderdale. It’s cheaper, less traffic and far less stressful then Miami. The beaches are nicer too!!

2. Uber is the best way to get around down here. The rental car might be more of a hassle for you. 

3. See answer # 2. 

Dont be overwhelmed, getting from Fort Lauderdale to Port of Miami is an easy 30 min ride on I-95 (especially if you are leaving on the weekend). 

Thanks, that was very helpful!

Just a lot of firsts for us. First cruise, first time using Uber, first time in a plane in over 15 years. Even when we go to Disney, we do the 18 hour drive rather than fly. 

Will we have an issue getting an Uber for 6 people plus luggage? Will it be outrageously expensive for a half hour trip?

Perhaps for (6) people with Luggage, Uber might be a stretch. There are endless amounts of Shuttle service companies that you could use as an option. Keep in mind, South Florida (Specifically Fort Lauderdale, Miami) are thriving  based in large part from the cruise industry. Both cities cater to cruise passengers. You will have zero issues staying on Fort Lauderdale and getting to port of Miami in the am. I’m certain someone can help with a shuttle company recommendation because it sounds like you will need a van with plenty of space for luggage. 

I use Go Airport Shuttle (Google it), to and from the airports, to and from the Ports, both FLL and Miami, depending on where you are flying in to and out of. Everything can be done online, give them a credit card to confirm reservation but it is not charged until the day of pickup, I use cash as a tip to the driver when we arrive at our destination.

Booking online gives you the flexibility of looking at their fleet and picking something that will fit your needs.

I will preface this with I've never used them for 6 people and luggage, so calling might be a better option.

We thought an Uber XL would be a stretch for our family of 6.  You don't know if you will be able to get something to hold all 6 of us and the luggage.  We used Go Airport Shuttle after a recommendation from this board and it worked out great.  There are several of us who used this service with good results.  It is more expensive than an Uber XL which runs about $75 but less than 2 ubers which is what I'm afraid I would need.  I think it would be less expensive and more time effective than renting a car.

Just now, melski94 said:

I did it all online with Go Airport Shuttle.  They have several options to chose from.  

Yea, I just saw that, they definitely have big vans, but it was the addition of the luggage that I was not sure of.

I'm usually booking for my wife and I and we each have 1 bag, so usually not a problem.

Although Uber or shuttle will be the best option you can rent a car:

Take the car when you land, (check if your hotel has free parking) . you can drive at the morning and choose two options : 

1. return it in Miami airport and take the shuttle (National for example used to  offer free shuttle to the port if you had rental car agreement) or to take a Taxi (26-29$ fixed price). 

2. Go directly to the port , drop the suitcases with the porters ,  your family can wait for you at the port and you can go to drop the car , it can take around 40 minutes +/-