Will Empress get freestyle Coke machines?

Hoski

My two cents worth... Without having any real knowledge.  My understanding is that they have the freestyle machines on the ships that are primarily in the us so they can easily restock them.  They also seem to keep them on Voyager size and above where there are typically more kids.  There wasn't one on my vision cruise and I'm guessing they won't see the need to put it in empress where the average age is a bit older and people feel more comfortable just asking for a pop at a bar.  Jane

• 11 months later...

I am wondering the same thing. We just sailed Voyager and were very disappointed that it was such a hassle to acquire sparkling water. We drink the Dasani sparkling water all the time from the freestyle machines. You can top it off with a splash of any soda, and you have flavored water with very few calories. We are thinking of sailing on Empress, but would love to see freestyle.

How is the wifi on Empress? It was HORRIBLE on Voyager. It's usually very good, but Voyager really had me questioning, and with Empress being such an old ship, I am wondering if anyone has used it. My husband and I both work from "home", so crusing is usually easy for work.

4 hours ago, MaureenMcD said:

I am wondering the same thing. We just sailed Voyager and were very disappointed that it was such a hassle to acquire sparkling water. We drink the Dasani sparkling water all the time from the freestyle machines. You can top it off with a splash of any soda, and you have flavored water with very few calories. We are thinking of sailing on Empress, but would love to see freestyle.

How is the wifi on Empress? It was HORRIBLE on Voyager. It's usually very good, but Voyager really had me questioning, and with Empress being such an old ship, I am wondering if anyone has used it. My husband and I both work from "home", so crusing is usually easy for work.

Welcome to the message boards.  I really doubt they will install Freestyle on Empress.  It is what it is.  Liberty will probably get them in her 2021 amp but that's a guess on my part.

The Voom on Empress is consistent with other ships that are not O3b enabled.  That's most Vision and all Voyager class.  When Voyager  herself is not in the Caribbean she uses different satellites so if you have experienced Voyager Voom outside of the Caribbean that can't be used at a point of reference. 

To be honest Voom on the newly amped Navigator and Mariner isn't great either.  Voom wasn't upgraded during any ship amp. 

I personally have worked from Empress numerous times last year and had very few issues.  Satellite internet will never be like internet at home and bad weather on the horizon or near the ship can slow down or stop ship internet.  That's an inescapable fact of satellite internet.  When trying to work from any ship, new or old, you take the chance that bad weather will slow down Voom just when your work activities need it most.  

While on Empress I experienced a bad Voom spell for several hours near an area where all ships switch to a different satellite for better coverage.  A few weeks later while boarding Empress for a different cruise I saw a contractor working in one of the satellite domes.   The internet was better on subsequent voyages so maybe they had a faulty component in the system.  While we were in St Thomas where my cell phone works natively my phone calls kept dropping so I went back onto Empress Voom and used wifi calling that worked better than cellular so that says something about Empress Voom. 

With only 1,600 guests Empress does better than Voyager class for Voom in my experience.  YMMV.