History of Royal Video From Onboard TV

jagnew

On our Oasis trip in February 2018, there was a documentary on the history of Royal and the evolution of the ships that played a few times during the week.  Have any of you ever successfully searched for that video online?  I never got to watch much of it due to show reservations, etc, and would like to see it all if available somewhere...

Great question.  There is more than one.  If I recall the first addressed the earlier year and the second went through Freedom if (I think).  

I saw them on Symphony I think, and it was memorable seeing the videos of that day refer to Freedom as the largest cruise ship in the world!

I did find this link but the video is gone.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com.au/ourCompany/ourHistory.do

The videos I saw on the Symphony TA provided a history of the company,  How it came to be, how it was formed, the key players, the early decisions on building a ship designed specifically for the cruise market versus converting a cargo ship into one, the early days of the fleet, the first stretching and evolution into Vision class. 

The second video they played may have originally been joined to the first video but was presented as a separate video and continued talking about the company, the power struggle for ownership, how it turned into an American company, the evolution of the fleet including Voyager and finally Freedom class.  The second video wasn't played in its entirety, it was so long that eventually they would interrupt it and move onto the next typical short clip such as the "wash your hands" bit then another more modern promotional video clip and so on never returning to play the end of the 2nd video.  

The era of the videos was pre-Oasis, pre-Bayley.  Likely something from the archives. Sort of a documentary style video, not a slick modern marketing video. 

They provided a lot of insight into the company, the main players and the evolution of the fleet.  Captivating for a cruise geek.  I know I learned a lot about the earlier days of the company.