Costa Maya pier & cruise port

Brobbins246

I've heard that Costa Maya can take quite awhile to walk from the ship to outside the cruise port because of the huge shopping/swimming/dining area right off the pier.  We're doing a shore excursion through a 3rd party operator in Costa Maya, and we need to taxi into Mahauhal by a certain time.  Assuming we don't stop for shopping or anything else along our way, about how much time would you suggest we allow for making our way down the pier and through the port area to the taxis?  I'm wondering if we're talking more like 5 minutes or 30 minutes.  thank you!!

10 hours ago, Brobbins246 said:

I've heard that Costa Maya can take quite awhile to walk from the ship to outside the cruise port because of the huge shopping/swimming/dining area right off the pier.  We're doing a shore excursion through a 3rd party operator in Costa Maya, and we need to taxi into Mahauhal by a certain time.  Assuming we don't stop for shopping or anything else along our way, about how much time would you suggest we allow for making our way down the pier and through the port area to the taxis?  I'm wondering if we're talking more like 5 minutes or 30 minutes.  thank you!!

We had also a private tour from Costa Maya , it took us around 15 minutes to go to the meeting point outside of the port. The main issue is that the port is build like a maze to keep you in as much as they can . The exist signs are not that visible and we had to ask at least twice for direction. I suggest to take extra time while in port. 

Give yourself some extra time as you can not get a taxi in the port.  You have to exit the gates and walk up to the taxi line and wait for the next available one.  There is a tram to Mahauhal for $4 per person that leaves right from the port.  You have to buy tickets from the counter at the port (all the way through at the end) and then get in line for the tram.  The taxis are allowed to bring you back to the port, they just can't pick up in there.  There's no return tram, so you have to return via taxi.