From Port Everglades to West Palm Beach airport

Advice needed....I have had my eye on flights for our March break cruise on Harmony for a while now.  Prices started high at release and have remained very high to date.  Over the weekend, the leg from DTW-FLL dropped considerably so I did what I've never done before...I grabbed the one way in hopes that the return will drop at some point. Because I am a planner, I cannot help but to think of Plan B and C in case the return remains sky high. I thought of flying back from MIA but I don't like the flight times as much and the cost is not that much lower after factoring in the cost to get from Terminal 18 to Miami. The other option is to fly back from PBI.  There is a 12pm flight that I am considering. A few questions for the Florida locals @Matt @CGTLH @tonyfsu21 and those that have flown out of PBI...

1. Can I make the 12pm flight time?? Google maps says it's about a 47min drive. Will there be much traffic on a Sunday morning? I will have a Genie so I am not expecting much delay from ship-curb.

2. What is PBI like as an airport compared to FLL? Smaller? Bigger? Newer? Older?

3. Has anyone done this as an option? I do not recall ever reading about this here? Comments? Suggestions?

@Lovetocruise2002 fly into and fly back home from an airport that is much closer to port Everglades (which is where Harmony is currently departing from). Instead of flying back either through MIA or PBI airports you should consider flying back FLL/Hollywood airport because the Fort Lauderdale airport is within 10 minutes from port Everglades. Both MIA and PBI airports are about 1 hour away from port Everglades with traffic and not including any lane closures or delays that might happen. I live in Florida and when I was traveling south on interstate I have seen that as I was getting closer to Fort Lauderdale that there was a lot of traffic. @Lovetocruise2002 I would not select for a noon flight because there is a chance that you might not make it if you are not flying back through FLL because the customs line coming back into the country takes forever and you can not get off the ship until customs has cleared the ship and is allowed to start disembarking guests. You might be waiting in the customs line for over an hour. If you do regular disembark you have to wait onboard the ship until it’s your turn to disembark. If I were you I would choose a later time to fly home or to fly home the next day but it’s up to you

8 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Advice needed....I have had my eye on flights for our March break cruise on Harmony for a while now.  Prices started high at release and have remained very high to date.  Over the weekend, the leg from DTW-FLL dropped considerably so I did what I've never done before...I grabbed the one way in hopes that the return will drop at some point. Because I am a planner, I cannot help but to think of Plan B and C in case the return remains sky high. I thought of flying back from MIA but I don't like the flight times as much and the cost is not that much lower after factoring in the cost to get from Terminal 18 to Miami. The other option is to fly back from PBI.  There is a 12pm flight that I am considering. A few questions for the Florida locals @Matt @CGTLH @tonyfsu21 and those that have flown out of PBI...

1. Can I make the 12pm flight time?? Google maps says it's about a 47min drive. Will there be much traffic on a Sunday morning? I will have a Genie so I am not expecting much delay from ship-curb.

2. What is PBI like as an airport compared to FLL? Smaller? Bigger? Newer? Older?

3. Has anyone done this as an option? I do not recall ever reading about this here? Comments? Suggestions?

PBI is a smaller airport and I def think you should consider it an option. Here’s a couple things to consider:

1. Will Trump be a Mar-a-lago? Will he decide to leave on that Sunday in March? Will his motorcade delay entry into PBI? Possibility and obviously nobody here has the answer but it’s something to consider.

2. If you can manage to get off the ship first thing and hop in a ride share you should have no issues making a 12pm flight. From Port to PBI is in fact a 45 min drive on a Sun am. 

2 hours ago, Jess said:

@Lovetocruise2002 fly into and fly back home from an airport that is much closer to port Everglades (which is where Harmony is currently departing from). Instead of flying back either through MIA or PBI airports you should consider flying back FLL/Hollywood airport because the Fort Lauderdale airport is within 10 minutes from port Everglades. Both MIA and PBI airports are about 1 hour away from port Everglades with traffic and not including any lane closures or delays that might happen. I live in Florida and when I was traveling south on interstate I have seen that as I was getting closer to Fort Lauderdale that there was a lot of traffic. @Lovetocruise2002 I would not select for a noon flight because there is a chance that you might not make it if you are not flying back through FLL because the customs line coming back into the country takes forever and you can not get off the ship until customs has cleared the ship and is allowed to start disembarking guests. You might be waiting in the customs line for over an hour. If you do regular disembark you have to wait onboard the ship until it’s your turn to disembark. If I were you I would choose a later time to fly home or to fly home the next day but it’s up to you

Customs has changed for the better. It’s faster an easier then ever. The line moves very smooth and I would no longer consider this a viable delay (unless of course illegal or unclaimed items are being brought back)....

2 hours ago, Jess said:

Instead of flying back either through MIA or PBI airports you should consider flying back FLL/Hollywood airport because the Fort Lauderdale airport is within 10 minutes from port Everglades.

FLL is my Plan A.  But if flights remain at $550+pp one way, I might have to consider other options.  That's why I was thinking of PBI.

45 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

1. Will Trump be a Mar-a-lago? Will he decide to leave on that Sunday in March? Will his motorcade delay entry into PBI? Possibility and obviously nobody here has the answer but it’s something to consider.

Didn't even think of that.  Thanks Tony!

PBI is a tiny airport, which I think is great.  Much easier to get in and out of.  

Considering you come back on a weekend, traffic will not be an issue and I think you can make a noon flight. You may have to hustle a bit to be off the ship sooner than later, but if there's enough of a price difference compared to FLL, I'd go from there.

1 hour ago, tonyfsu21 said:

PBI is a smaller airport and I def think you should consider it an option. Here’s a couple things to consider:

2. If you can manage to get off the ship first thing and hop in a ride share you should have no issues making a 12pm flight. From Port to PBI is in fact a 45 min drive on a Sun am. 

You made two excellent points!!!!

I live pretty mush dead center between FLL and PBI.  I can't imagine that the Max time from Port Everglades to PBI will exceed 1 hour.  

I will say most of the time President Trump leaves in the afternoon hours.

It's such a straight shot from the Port 595 west to 95 North that's it.