Jewel of the seas revitalisation

Hi all. I have the chance to book for Aug next year a med cruise on Jewel of the seas inc flights from Ireland to Rome, transfers and 7 night med cruise for $1200 inc gratuity. I wanted to ask you all a couple of questions as Jewel is due an upgrade in April next year and I have never sailed on her.

1. Do you think this is good value?

2. Is she likely to get virtual balconies on inside staterooms?

3 What other upgrades is she likely to get?

4. For those of you who have cruised on Jewel would you recommend her?

All comments welcome as I have to book before Aug 3rd to get the free flights!

Thanks in advance for all your help

David

I doubt she'll receive much more than the other Radiance class ships: Izumi, Park Cafe, R Bar, Rita's Cantina, Park Cafe, nursery, and outdoor movie screen. I really do not foresee virtual balconies. Likely additions above the Radiance class might be a water slide and high speed internet.

The price seems pretty competitive to me based on what I've seen this year.

You will find that the Radiance class ships are very different from the Oasis class...but they have their own elegance and specialties.

If they upgrade the Jewel to the extent that they upgraded the Radiance then you will be in for some excellent upgraded restaurants (hopefully they will not saddle you with Rita's Cantina though...keep your fingers crossed for Sabor instead).

The corridors on the Radiance class ships are very narrow...especially when compared to those on the Oasis class. That is b/c the Radiance class ships are narrower, by design...to go to the smaller waterways (Panama Canal and inland waterways in Alaska, for example). The Radiance class have a lot of beautiful windows and woodwork that the Oasis class does not have. I think they are thoroughly elegant ships.

I'm with Doc. I would recommend the Jewel even before any revitalization. I have cruised on her 3 times (I think) and would love to go any time. She is one of my favorites. You do not, however, have all of the glitzy activities of the Oasis class...no flow rider, no zip line, no aquatheater, but I never had a shortage of things to keep me occupied.

It sounds like you got an excellent deal ! Enjoy it !

That is an inside stateroom Matt. Figure I would save some money on the cruise to spend on Restaurants and drinks later. Also includes transfers to and from Rome airport.

I think $1200 for a 7 night is a great deal.  Nothing wrong with going with an inside stateroom to save money, plus you will sleep great in the pitch blackness!

Guys going to book this cruise over the weekend. So exciting. Could i ask when RCI are doing a free flights and transfers promotion is it best to book with them direct or would you use a travel agent. Also should I ask for crown and anchor discount as a member?

I always recommend a travel agent as they get paid by the cruise line and will advocate for you should something go wrong.  In addition, they may be aware of promotions that the Royal Caribbean personnel aren't up on as there are many going at any given time.

As for the C&A discount, ask for it.  However, my guess is that it is not combinable.  Even so, all they can say is no.

It cant hurt to ask for the C&A discount but make sure they price it both ways.

The RCI website has a nasty tendency to automatically apply the C&A balcony discount (if you are logged in to the website) even if the balcony discount is LESS than the discount/OBC being offered to everyone else at the time. On at least two occasions my net price was higher with the C&A discount applied than it was without it ;)

(Balcony discount is frequently not combinable with other discounts so it takes off the "general public" discount and puts on the "C&A" discount)