Royal Caribbean Blog

Independence - 14th-28th July Med - Live(ish) Blog

Day 13 - Vigo

Today was our final port day and we were in the Spanish city of Vigo. We didn't have any plans other than to have a walk around. 

There is a fort that you can walk uo to so we headed up through the old town to reach it. Being a fort, it is located at the top of a steep hill. Luckily for us, there were escalators to take us up part of it - Gibraltar could learn something from Vigo! 

The climb was worth it though for stunning views across the Vigo estuary and the fort is set in pretty landscaped gardens. There is also a nice memorial, consisting of a series of old anchors,  to the ships that were lost during a war on the 18th century. 

After visiting the fort we took a stroll through the town back to the port area. I was really sure what to expect from Vigo but it was a larger city than I thought it would be and had an interesting mix of old and new architecture. There was also plenty of shopping to be had if you're that way inclined. 

We were back onboard early- around 12pm - and went for a bite to eat inbthe WJ before heading to the Solarium to relax and cool off. We stayed there until sailaway which we watched from the cantilever hot tub. This was another scenic sailaway as we sailed out of the estuary with mountains on both sides. 

We then went to Studio B to watch the Ive Show 'Freeze Frame'. It was another great show although 4 out of the 8 performers fell with 3 of them falling twice. Luckily no one was hurt and they carried out to supportive cheers and applause from the crowd. 

There was a Queen tribute band on tonight called The Bohemians. We didn't fancy it as well as going to watch Freeze Frame. As we were having a pre-dinner drink in Vintages, the cruise director made an announcement apologising for having to cut the first performance short and cancelling the second performance as the lead singer's voice had gone partway through the show. He was extremely apologetic and announced that a film would be shown in the theatre instead of the second performance. We thought that this was completely reasonable as it's one of those situations that can't be avoided but the cruise director was so apologetic it made us wonder if people had complained about the first show being cut short. 

Dinner in the MDR followed and was our final formal night with lobster on the menu and the chefs parading through the dining room. Apparently we've broken the ship's record for the amount of pizza consumed with 27 thousand slices under our belts - I guess we know where the Brits stand on the Sorrento's debate!

Finally we grabbed a drink from the Champagne Bar and watched the Britannia Rocks show on the Royal Promenade which was fun. 

Tomorrow is our last sea day as we sail back to Southampton. 

20180726_104950.jpg

20180726_105002.jpg

20180726_110249.jpg

20180726_110930.jpg

20180726_111815.jpg

20180726_112055.jpg

20180726_112322.jpg

20180726_112342.jpg

20180726_113012.jpg

20180726_113131.jpg

20180726_112642.jpg

20180726_113243.jpg

20180726_113305.jpg

20180726_115809.jpg

20180726_120250.jpg

20180726_131508.jpg

20180726_183315.jpg

20180726_203735.jpg

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I bought a Rolex a couple of years ago.  They are quite affordable but I hardly wear it and it's a bit bulky.  It was $36 on the streets of San Juan.   Still not sure what all the fuss is ab

Day 7 - Civitivechia  Today we were in Civitivechia which is the port for Rome. We've heard that to do Rome in a day is pretty frantic as it's at least a 1hr 15min drive from the port, extremely

Some of the chef's table photos failed to upload - Ill try them again

Posted Images

Thanks so much for taking the time to live blog!  We're in the planning stages of our first European cruise, so I've been following along & taking notes.  Our cruise won't be until 2020, so i have a lot of time to plan, ask questions and pic that perfect itinerary.  Now I just need Royal to plan one with all the right stops.  😄 Looking forward to reading the rest! 

@hayley_bopp Wow!  What a great blog.  I just finished catching up.  The pictures are amazing!  Reading through this has me longing to go back to the Med.  My deepest apologies for not being able to tune into more of your scopes live.  This was simply fantastic to read through!  Thank you!