Diamond Status on Allure

KAA

My husband and I just reached Diamond status and will be cruising on Allure this month. We know that we are entitled to 3 free drinks at night, but does how does this work? Also, what do you find in the diamond lounge? I usually get a soda package, but I am wondering if I can live without it now that we have this status and maybe I could use a free drink for soda.

Thank you in advance!

17 minutes ago, KAA said:

My husband and I just reached Diamond status and will be cruising on Allure this month. We know that we are entitled to 3 free drinks at night, but does how does this work? Also, what do you find in the diamond lounge? I usually get a soda package, but I am wondering if I can live without it now that we have this status and maybe I could use a free drink for soda.

Thank you in advance!

Yes you can use the free drinks for soda. There will be a letter in your room with all your diamond status information. Welcome to the Diamond Level. I go to the lounge and get club soda with lime. 

Congratulations on reaching this incredible milestone!

The 3 free drinks are loaded on your SeaPass card.  Most but not all bars honor Diamond Happy Hour.  Bottled water is also included in this list.

In addition to the 3 free drinks you can claim at many bars, the Diamond Lounge also has a Happy Hour typically from 4:30pm to 8pm.  Here the drinks are unlimited and don't count against the 3 drinks loaded on your SeaPass card, but you have to visit the Diamond Lounge during happy hour to get them.  Expect the Diamond Lunge to be very busy during happy hour, it's often packed.

Here is the 'menu' of drinks typically available for Diamond Happy Hour:

193356185_DHappyHour.thumb.JPG.a39336337049463ad998f5ff14b75f9b.JPG

Which bars participate in Diamond Happy Hour varies by ship and can change so if in doubt just ask any bartender if you can get a Diamond Happy Hour drink at that bar if you don't see a card like this one sitting on the bar.  For example, I might go to a bar and ask for a 'Diamond Cabernet".  You hand them your SeaPass card and they swipe it just like they would if you weren't Diamond.  The system knows it's Happy Hour and you are not charged for that drink as long as it is within the stated Happy Hour times.

Note - if you are traveling with anyone, friends or family, who is not Diamond or above they cannot visit the Diamond Lounge with you.  

Also, if you like something beyond a basic coffee, the Diamond Lounge on most ships has a coffee machine that can make different types of coffee drinks. It's typically self serve and you simply select the type of coffee you want.  That is complimentary 24 hours a day.

As I understand the 3 free diamond happy hour drinks loaded on your SeaPass card was an effort to deal with DL over-crowding.  I use it for that purpose.  Instead of visiting the DL at 4:30pm when I know it will be jam packed, I visit a bar I know participates in diamond happy hour at 4:30pm and use one of my three free drinks loaded on my SeaPass card. 

At this point the DL doesn't swipe your card for each drink.  The DL concierge will usually ask to see everyone's card upon entering the DL to ensure they are diamond or above but once inside your SeaPass card isn't used.

They did run a trial on one ship where they asked for your SeaPass card in the DL for each drink.  Lots of speculation as to why but never heard a definitive reason. 

As far as the 3 free diamond happy hour drinks loaded on your SeaPass card - if the hours on your ship for the happy hour are 4:30pm to 8pm and you visit a bar at 4:29pm, no free drink because happy hour hasn't started.  If you visit at 4:31pm, happy hour is on and free drink #1 is available to you, but only from the happy hour menu.  Bars can be busy so I tend to visit them by 7:45pm to make sure my drink is obtained before 8pm.  If you show up at 7:59pm and have to wait a few minutes to get served, you might end up falling outside of happy hour by the time a bartender gets around to you.

A "rum and coke" during happy hour will be a Barcardi and Coke.  If you want a Kraken and Coke, that is NOT included in the happy hour menu above so you must pay for it.  

A happy hour vodka and tonic will be a New Amsterdam Vodka and tonic.  A Grey Goose Vodka and tonic is not included in the happy hour menu. 

A Cabernet or Merlot will be the house table wine they offer.  If you want a specific Cabernet or Merlot, that is not included and you must pay for that drink normally.

Frozen drinks are NOT included in happy hour.

Almost any drink that uses something from the diamond happy hour menu is available.  A vodka martini, a vodka and tonic, a bloody mary, etc is available but it will use New Amsterdam vodka.

On most ships with a Vintages they participate in diamond happy hour but you'll get the same table wine you would get in the DL.  Serenade was an exception.  Vintages on Serenade did NOT participate in happy hour. 

The MDR and specialty dining typically does NOT participate in diamond happy hour but that too varies by ship.  On Anthem, Jamie's uses Vintages as their bar.  Since Vintages on Anthem participates in happy hour, so did Jamies.  On Serenade, the diamond concierge letter specifically stated the MDR DOES participate in diamond happy hour to make up the fact that Vintages does not.

The Champagne Bar sometimes does NOT participate.  Bionic bars do NOT participate.  Pool bars, pubs, Schooner Bars, R Bars and Boleros typically do participate.  Until Serenade, Vintages in my experience has participated but still for the same house wines and well drinks you get anywhere else. 

If you don't see the card pictured above on the bar top, best to ask "Can I get a diamond happy hour drink here?" before ordering.

We were on Allure about a month ago.  Here are the Diamond benefits information that they placed in our stateroom on embarkation day...  We found the Diamond Lounge to be excellent on our cruise (friendly staff and not overcrowded like some other ships).

Allure Diamond D Plus.pdf