Curious About Price Changes

I'm just curious about this..... I'm less than 2 months away from cruising so obviously I'm fully paid.  I wanted to see what cabins were still available so I went in as if I was going to book the cruise again and now see that the price has dropped for my category - substantially.   What is the protocol here?  I totally understand prices change for various reasons.  Can I call and switch to another (same category) cabin and get the better rate?  Or is that option over since I have already paid in full?  I have no OBC so have nothing to lose there.  Not complaining, just wondering. Thanks

Definitely call RCL. If they say no, try calling 2 or 3 times to talk to different reps. I have read and heard that you cannot get any price adjustments after final payment, but reps there have said we can. When I tried, it just so happened that it did not work out to my advantage because of OBC. It's worth the phone call to try!

Definitely call RCL, I had a GS booked on Oasis in Feb and 2 weeks before sailing the price for a CLS was $750 cheaper than our GS. I called and was upgraded to the CLS and got the $750 refined back to my credit card. Also had a inside cabins for my daughter and son in law and a inside cabin for my nephew and his wife on the same reservation and was able to move them to a balcony cabin for the cost of the inside cabin. So it is definitely worth a try. 

Well, this is an interesting post.  I was always under the impression that after final payment, if the price changes you are out of luck.  I know that you can upgrade after final payment and pay the difference, but I had no clue that refunds were possible.  @RRoberts, your situation is especially interesting, as they let you upgrade and gave you a refund!  I have always thought that in a situation like yours above, you would be ok to upgrade to the CLS and just not pay any difference since the cost was lower.  This is definitely good to know!

@cruise-y, please keep us posted on what happens....

I guess people are luckier than me, because I called and was told that because the cruise was already paid for, I could not get the cheaper rate (which is what I thought).  I would have to cancel (losing 75%) and rebook.  I understand that they make betters offers late in the booking to get those last rooms booked and can't be giving everyone refunds.  

Before the hurricanes hit last year they were more easy going about bending the rules, often offering OBC after final payment due date.  Then they lost $46M due to the hurricanes so they pulled back the reins on the 'good will' gesture.

Some people only cruise ever couple of years so while someone likely got a good will gesture in 2016 or early 2017 I think you'll find it became more rare after that.

When I called to make the cabin change I thought that I would get the upgrade due to the lower rate but not the Money back for the difference in price, but when the rep told me I would get the difference refunded to my card I told him that I thought the policy was that no refunds in price after final payment and he said I would get the refund back on my card. When I hung up I was for sure thinking that I was never going to get the refund back. But 2 weeks later the refund was back on my card. I guess everyone gets lucky every now and then.  

There is a difference between upgrading to a different cabin type and simply asking for a lower price for the same cabin.  That includes when the upgraded cabin is a lower price.  Suites also makes a difference.

Sometimes they will let you upgrade after final payment and sometimes they won't.  In January on Anthem I was willing to pay more to move from a balcony to a JS.  They said no. 

Like all things in life, YMMV.

4 hours ago, twangster said:

There is a difference between upgrading to a different cabin type and simply asking for a lower price for the same cabin.  That includes when the upgraded cabin is a lower price.  Suites also makes a difference.

Sometimes they will let you upgrade after final payment and sometimes they won't.  In January on Anthem I was willing to pay more to move from a balcony to a JS.  They said no. 

Like all things in life, YMMV.

That's the first I've ever heard a cruise line saying no to an upgrade if they have rooms available. I've alway got the response of...sure you can upgrade...hers' the price difference.

4 hours ago, mworkman said:

That's the first I've ever heard a cruise line saying no to an upgrade if they have rooms available. I've alway got the response of...sure you can upgrade...hers' the price difference.

Yeah, first for me too.  But it was a 2018 experience so it shows how things change over time.  My agent was pretty shocked as well.  Maybe because I was solo?  Not sure.