Belize cave tubing

Todd W

Curious to hear thoughts on the Belize cave tubing excursions.   I've read a ton of reviews and they all seem to be hit or miss.   Lots of negative stuff on RCI  Jaguar paw tubing excursions about disorganization, lots of hurry up and wait to get started or rushing everyone back to the ship after their float and not allowing enough time for lunch.       Interested in hearing about some reliable 3rd party tubing excursions (no zip lines or stuff like that, just tubing).       Do they all pretty much require a 45 min or more drive to the camp spot and then additional walking through the jungle?     Please feel free to share any info on your good or bad experiences and what companies you'd suggest.       our group is really just looking for a relaxing tube float and some good lunch and/or drinks afterwards with possibly some time left over for port shopping before sail away.

thanks!

We did the cave tubing YEARS ago.  I certainly cannot recall who did the excursion but it was through the cruise line.

All I remember is that it was a TOUGH walk, carrying your innertube and that the water was FREEZING ?  My daughter (who has NO insulation !) was completely blue head to toe by the time we got out of the water.

I am certain that I could not do this excursion today, given my deteriorated mobility from those days.  We completely enjoyed it (all but my daughter who nearly froze to death !) but would not consider doing it again.  Once was enough.

My wife and I did it through the ship in 2014 and what you write about is pretty much what we remember, it seemed like everything was a rush, we were there after Belize had a very significant rainy season, so the roads where terrible, my wife is a school bus driver and the guy that drove us scarred the crap out of her and the bus was basically a school bus type with no AC.

I will agree with @WAAAYTOOO, the water is cold, but it is very beautiful floating through the cave. I'm not mobility limited in any way, but it is a steep climb down to the river through the opening.

By the time we got back (Road re-construction delay, ie Rainy season) we were not pier runners but we were close to the last ones on the ship. yes, about a 45-1 hour drive.

Water shoes or gym shoes that can be discarded after the ride are an absolute must. Sandels, Crocs, or other loose fitting foot ware probably won't work out so well.

"Creek" is a much more accurate term than "river".

The  water is cool, but not freezing. Consider wearing something like a rash guard or long sleeved shirt for the trip. The life vest will also keep you pretty warm.

The water is seldom deeper than chest deep anywhere along the trip.

The bats are small and the headlights on the helmets are just enough to see them.

I don't remember any total blackout areas along the route. I'm certain there were none.

Beers are available for sale after the trip. Buy a couple extra for the bus ride back to the ship.

The inner tubes are not from vehicles, they are much lighter weight than that.

Everything you bring with you is going to get wet. This includes cameras, phones, wallets etc.  These items types of items you bring along should have a way of being clipped off to you. Meaning; having a caribeaner that can be hooked to a belt loop and the lanyard to a waterproof camera is a really good idea. Leaving a towel, change of clothes, change of shoes, seapass, and a photo ID was plenty safe left on your seat in a backpack or beach bag on the bus.

The walk from the bus to the creek was, I dunno if it was a mile; I don't think it was that long. It's along a trail in the jungle which is mostly gravel or mud. It's not a Tough Mudder, but being a rain forest you will walk in an occasional puddle.There were many stops along the way where the guide takes about specific trees or wildlife. 

Ther is some occasional faster current, not whitewater,  not rapids, but rather swift fun.

There are times during the float that are quiet, peaceful drifts through the rainforest. Listening to the jungle birds is wonderful and they don't know you are there.

We LOVED the Jaguar Paw Cave Tubing while we there in January 2017. The walk to the cave entrance was not all that long and our guide was very informative about the section of jungle we were walking through. (the plants, wildlife, history, etc.)

To be able to take pictures I bought a pair of waterproof phone cases with lanyards and they worked great. The sights inside the cave were AMAZING! The waterfalls INSIDE the cave were breathtaking. The trip down the river was leisurely and quite relaxing and, once again, our guide was terrific.

Anything you don't want to get wet can be left at the facility in a rented locker. The after trip lunch was delicious, too. Caribbean style grilled chicken, rice & beans, salad, and soft drinks. (Alcoholic drinks available separately $$$)

We weren't all that interested in shopping at the port afterward, but, we had plenty of time to do so if we wanted.

We did an excursion a couple of years ago, not through the cruise line wish I could remember with who.  It was a long walk on unpaved paths, but the ground was pretty level.  We did NOT have to carry our inner tubes, but I did notice other tours doing so.  I would suggest finding a tour where you don't have to!  The caves were great.  Water was a bit low when we went but our tour guide pulled us through the slow spots.  I would do it again!  

We did it Nov. 17 and had fun...it was a little walk to the cave area, carrying 2 tubes.  You can guess who's I was carrying...but it wasn't that bad of a walk...water was nice and cool at first, but once adjusted not a bad trip.  We weren't rushed by any means.  Lunch was good. We would do it again. Our guide gave us an echo tour along the way to the cave.

We did the cave tubing zip line combo through RC in January of 2017 and loved it. As others have said there is a walk to the river with your tubes that was not rushed and our guide made it fun and informative. Although not strenuous, you need to be in shape to walk a mile with a tube. 

The water was cool and took a few minutes to get used to. The trip down the river was unique and enjoyable. We also were allowed to swim the last bit of the river. 

Matching it with the zip line right there gave us a full day experience. A full day for sure as we were cutting it close back to the ship. Since it was an RC booked excursion I knew there was no chance of missing it. ?

I would highly recommend it from the perspective of a couple a few years on either side of 50 looking for a day an adventure.