Passport Card from Canada

We have passport cards. Read that we need to renew to passport book ($131/each). Our cruise ends at Vancouver, Canada from a start in Fairbanks (flew in from Texas). Looking to rent a car and explore Victoria, Vancouver, & Seattle. If we are crossing to U.S. by car and will get a flight from Seattle to home (Texas), will not the passport cards be all we need? Having a difficult time finding this info online. Most say by car and ship, okay for passport card only but flying from Vancouver to Seattle to Houston, need passport book. But if we drive over border, only card needed. What do y'all know? Any experiences?

Here is the info from US Customs and Borders.  Looks like if you are driving to Seattle then cards are all you need.  That being said I prefer a passport book as it provides more flexibility in case anything happens.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/999/~/information-about-u.s.-passport-cards

What can I use the Passport Card for and how do I get one?

The U.S. Department of State (DOS) issues the U.S. passport book and the U.S. passport card. The passport card is used to enter the United States (U.S.) at the land border crossings and sea ports-of-entry from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. The passport card can also be used for domestic air travel.

The passport card may not be used for international air travel.

Guest toodle68

I live by a simple rule of thumb where boarders are concerned.. if I am leaving my home country, take your passport. It removes ALL questions, concerns and stress.

I have both the book and card.  I've used the card to drive across the US-Canada border many times.  The card can be used for land or sea.  Anything involving international air travel requires a book.  

It's a rather odd rule since either way they swipe it to bring you up electronically in the system but I suppose the book does have pages where other countries could stamp things that US customs can review upon your return.

Ultimately Royal has to let you on the ship in Seward so I'd contact them and make sure they are okay with you boarding the ship with a card.  Driving from British Columbia into Washington state with a card won't be a problem.

I'd recommend going for the book - the greatest argument I've heard pro-book over the card is in the absolute worst case scenario that you miss the ship and need to meet it in another country, it saves you the hassle of either having to drive through Canada or Mexico to get back in to the United States or having to go to the US Embassy. 

This is also why I carry my passport book off with me whenever I leave the ship.