Black Coral Pendant

My Mom and I are going on a cruise out of Galveston in September.  We live in Houston.  30 years ago, she bought a black coral pendant from a jeweler that is still there in Cozumel (she checked).  She wants to take it with us and have it repaired. 

She is telling me that she is planning on going to the customs office at the airport to register the piece to take it out of the country so she can return with it.  Is this correct?  I told her that she probably doesn't have to do all this. 

Can y'all help?

Thank you, 
Lindsay 

Years ago my dad was fastidious about doing this with all of our cameras and lenses (long before cell phones, laptops and tablets).

Now I don't bother and I carry a significant amount of electronics with me.  Of course I could eventually produce receipts and display ownership before leaving, but in pure technical terms your mother is correct.   

Can she most likely travel and be okay?  Probably.  However if a newbie customs office sticking to the books greets you upon your return, you might have a problem without talking with customs before leaving.  Having said that, I don't know what proof they will demand that the piece was originally declared and imported legally 30 years ago. 

Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants?  Show up with all the right intentions and have them seize it because she can't prove she imported it properly 30 years ago.  I'd call them first and ask a bunch of questions, or visit without the piece (or leave it in the car).

12 hours ago, twangster said:

Years ago my dad was fastidious about doing this with all of our cameras and lenses (long before cell phones, laptops and tablets).

Now I don't bother and I carry a significant amount of electronics with me.  Of course I could eventually produce receipts and display ownership before leaving, but in pure technical terms your mother is correct.   

Can she most likely travel and be okay?  Probably.  However if a newbie customs office sticking to the books greets you upon your return, you might have a problem without talking with customs before leaving.  Having said that, I don't know what proof they will demand that the piece was originally declared and imported legally 30 years ago. 

Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants?  Show up with all the right intentions and have them seize it because she can't prove she imported it properly 30 years ago.  I'd call them first and ask a bunch of questions, or visit without the piece (or leave it in the car).

Thanks for the info!  ?

1 minute ago, function12 said:

I don't think she needs to go all through that unless it is a very very expensive piece.

It's like @twangster said, more than likely nothing will happen and they will be fine.  But technically if a customs agent were to make a stink about it, there could be an issue.  There isn't a high probability of there being a problem, but we'd hate to mislead the risks involved.

I travel with a LOT of expensive jewelry.  I have only been asked once about a piece I was wearing (and never about anything in my bags, where most of it is at the time we go through Customs).  I simply told them that it was an old ring (which it was) and they sent me on through without any further questions.

As Twangster mentioned, I would be able to eventually come up with receipts for the expensive stuff as it is all insured, but I would have to do that once I got home.  I don't carry receipts with me when I travel.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother with all of that if I were your mother.  I truly don't think it's necessary.  I haven't even had them ask me if I've purchased anything since they've quit taking the customs forms.  They just shoo you through quickly.  Maybe I just have "one of those faces".

7 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I travel with a LOT of expensive jewelry.  I have only been asked once about a piece I was wearing (and never about anything in my bags, where most of it is at the time we go through Customs).  I simply told them that it was an old ring (which it was) and they sent me on through without any further questions.

As Twangster mentioned, I would be able to eventually come up with receipts for the expensive stuff as it is all insured, but I would have to do that once I got home.  I don't carry receipts with me when I travel.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother with all of that if I were your mother.  I truly don't think it's necessary.  I haven't even had them ask me if I've purchased anything since they've quit taking the customs forms.  They just shoo you through quickly.  Maybe I just have "one of those faces".

I won't be concerned, with the value of it, unless it is really expensive, like @WAAAYTOOO says, my wife travels with a lot of expensive jewelry (IE. Mikimoto pearls in the original box) and she has never been stopped or asked about them.

I would be more concerned if Black Coral is now considered a banned material like ivory, if it is not protected I wouldn't be concerned.