Sorry...newbie

Never cruised before and I apologize if this has already been addressed somewhere, there is so much information here its a bit overwhelming! So I am unable to find where I can see the pricing for drink and dining packages or excursions or on board activities that aren't included in the base price without leaving a deposit. I guess the "cruise planner" is made available only after you book?  I understand that pricing changes and there are sales and what not but I don't want to book a cruise just to find out that the upgrades that we want are out of our budget.  We will be traveling on Liberty out of Galveston in December for our wedding anniversary.  Any information that anyone can give is very much appreciated.  Thanks so much!

21 minutes ago, meldorsch said:

Never cruised before and I apologize if this has already been addressed somewhere, there is so much information here its a bit overwhelming! So I am unable to find where I can see the pricing for drink and dining packages or excursions or on board activities that aren't included in the base price without leaving a deposit. I guess the "cruise planner" is made available only after you book?  I understand that pricing changes and there are sales and what not but I don't want to book a cruise just to find out that the upgrades that we want are out of our budget.  We will be traveling on Liberty out of Galveston in December for our wedding anniversary.  Any information that anyone can give is very much appreciated.  Thanks so much!

Welcome to the boards! You have found a great, friendly place here to learn about cruising. Don't apologize for asking questions. We're all here to help each other.

In regards to your question, it is likely too early for anything to be in your cruise planner yet.  From past bookings, the earliest I have seen dining released is about 170 days out and entertainment about 160 days out. Sometimes it won't be released until closer to 90 days out. It varies greatly by ship and sailing. Basically you need to keep checking the cruise planner. 

As far as sales go, @Mattdoes a great job posting news of sales on the main blog page. But again, those sales do not apply to all sailings so you will have to again check your cruise planner. In past years, Black Friday sales tend to be the best. You can also buy things and get it repriced if it goes lower as long as you are within 3 days of sailing. Your cruise planner will close at that point.

@twangster also recently did a great live blog from Liberty. You can find it in the live blog section here on the message boards.

Hope that helps a bit ?

Welcome to the boards! @Lovetocruise2002 gave you a great starting point. 

The cruise planner is only available after you book and some of the pricing is higher or lower based on the ship (so your numbers could be slightly higher or lower).  I was on Harmony (one of the higher ones) and the retail price of a drink package is $60 per person per night but I bought it for a bit over 20% off. When we were on Liberty a year ago, I bought it even cheaper (around $44 but there is no guarantee you'll see that price). A mixed drink is about $12 (beers cheaper) so use that as a guide on seeing if the drink package is worth it and don't forget you can bring 2 bottles of wine. As for dining packages, I don't feel the need for it.  One night at Chops is showing $35 each on Indy (sister ship to Liberty), 3 nights is $75. You may want to look at the First Night Done Right which can only be used on the first night and that on my planner for Indy (sister ship to Liberty) is $20. As for shore excursions, I do a lot of research on Trip Advisor and typically book my own. You can get an idea of prices from there. 

Many of the extras are just that, you don't need them to have a great time. It is very smart of you to get an idea of the cost based on the way you want to cruise. Good luck!

Welcome!

As others have mentioned, Royal Caribbean's Cruise Planner site is what you need to answer most of these questions.  The pricing will depend on your sailing, so that's the only source of accurate information for specific pricing of drink or dining packages.  If you don't see an option listed there yet, don't worry, it will be added in the coming months.

11 hours ago, meldorsch said:

on board activities that aren't included in the base price without leaving a deposit.

11 hours ago, meldorsch said:

I don't want to book a cruise just to find out that the upgrades that we want are out of our budget

Regarding both of your concerns, can you elaborate as to what type of activities/upgrades you are referring to?  Might be easier to put your mind at ease.

One other thing you can do in the meantime is look at a past Cruise Compass. Find one from Liberty and take a look at what was offered on that sailing.  A lot of what you see will likely be on your sailing too, and it provides a good overview of activities, extra options, etc. 

12 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Welcome to the boards! You have found a great, friendly place here to learn about cruising. Don't apologize for asking questions. We're all here to help each other.

In regards to your question, it is likely too early for anything to be in your cruise planner yet.  From past bookings, the earliest I have seen dining released is about 170 days out and entertainment about 160 days out. Sometimes it won't be released until closer to 90 days out. It varies greatly by ship and sailing. Basically you need to keep checking the cruise planner. 

As far as sales go, @Mattdoes a great job posting news of sales on the main blog page. But again, those sales do not apply to all sailings so you will have to again check your cruise planner. In past years, Black Friday sales tend to be the best. You can also buy things and get it repriced if it goes lower as long as you are within 3 days of sailing. Your cruise planner will close at that point.

@twangster also recently did a great live blog from Liberty. You can find it in the live blog section here on the message boards.

Hope that helps a bit ?

Cruise Critic is a good resource as well.

Welcome to the Boards!  This place is fantastic! Just friendly honest great advice.  I don't know what I would have done without learning so much since I haven't sailed in a longgg time.

I'm only 29 days out from sailing, I've booked, cancelled, booked, cancelled and booked again the drink package since I booked my cruise last July to give you an idea of the sales they have. Actually currently the drink package is back down to $39.00PP which is what I rebooked it at a month ago, so as others have said, just keep checking Cruise Planner.  So exciting when you go in and see your first "SALE"! LOL