Jump to content
Royal Caribbean Blog

Recommended Posts

Wow, okay, since this is that interesting I've run the sheet with various cruise planner prices - $11.99, $12.99, $13.99, $14.39, $14.99 and $15.99.  

Voom Surf and Stream was $11.99 for the Symphony TA so yes it does go that low at times.  PDFs:

 

Voom Comparison 1199.pdf

Voom Comparison 1299.pdf

Voom Comparison 1399.pdf

Voom Comparison 1439.pdf

Voom Comparison 1499.pdf

Voom Comparison 1599.pdf

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest toodle68
On 2/20/2018 at 1:38 PM, LadyB said:

Can someone please explain Vroom to me?  How it works, what you can do with it etc. I'd like to be able to text my husband while on our cruise and would like to know if this is the way to do it.

Will your husband be on the cruise with you? as in the same room?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2018 at 12:38 PM, LadyB said:

Can someone please explain Vroom to me?  How it works, what you can do with it etc. I'd like to be able to text my husband while on our cruise and would like to know if this is the way to do it.

One thing my wife an I do is get one plan and share it. Then we have fun kicking each other off the network!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DunkelBierJay said:

One thing my wife an I do is get one plan and share it. Then we have fun kicking each other off the network!

This is what my husband and I are doing on our upcoming cruise. The combined DP and Voom deal didn't work out all that well for us on this cruise, so we're just sharing a code. It doesn't sound like Voom on Adventure is working all that great, anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LadyB said:

Yes, and I don't know if it matters but he had a droid and I have an iphone.  All I want to do is be able to text him.

It does not.

You can use a third party app like WhatsApp, GroupMe, Facebook Messenger, Skype or a host of other options to communicate with each other.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, LadyB said:

Yes, and I don't know if it matters but he had a droid and I have an iphone.  All I want to do is be able to text him.

I have an iPhone and my husband has android.  When we cruise, we both get VOOM, 2 device plan and we text through WhatsApp.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, DunkelBierJay said:

I double checked what I bought for our next sailing with the family...there are five of us in adjoining CP balconies on Allure and I bought a 4 device plan on sale that netted out at $7.49 pp per day on the Cruise Planner.

Wait, I'm confused since you said there are five of you -- so that $7.49 pp per day is based on 5 people, not the 4 devices that can actually log in at one time, correct? So $37.45 per night?

Asking as that would indicate you got an even better rate than I had managed for the four of us on a 4-device plan ($39.17 per night, which if I did per-person with a 5-person group would be $7.83 pp per night) -- in which case I say to you, very well done sir! :89_clap:

Some might say, "It's just two bucks a night difference, who cares?" To which I reply, "The porters, the room attendant and headwaiter, and the bartenders, as they all get a few extra tip dollars." Or, "Me, because that's $16 over the 8 nights, which means I get that many more up-charge reposada margaritas on my drink package!" :3_grin:

I'm honestly surprised at some of the numbers I'm seeing from a handful of folks lately with the drink package ($39/night!?!?) and now apparently VOOM. I've gotten close to those numbers, but never once that low.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Wait, I'm confused since you said there are five of you -- so that $7.49 pp per day is based on 5 people, not the 4 devices that can actually log in at one time, correct? So $37.45 per night?

Asking as that would indicate you got an even better rate than I had managed for the four of us on a 4-device plan ($39.17 per night, which if I did per-person with a 5-person group would be $7.83 pp per night) -- in which case I say to you, very well done sir! :89_clap:

Some might say, "It's just two bucks a night difference, who cares?" To which I reply, "The porters, the room attendant and headwaiter, and the bartenders, as they all get a few extra tip dollars." Or, "Me, because that's $16 over the 8 nights, which means I get that many more up-charge reposada margaritas on my drink package!" :3_grin:

I'm honestly surprised at some of the numbers I'm seeing from a handful of folks lately with the drink package ($39/night!?!?) and now apparently VOOM. I've gotten close to those numbers, but never once that low.

My wife and I will share a plan. I like to go on and do stuff in the morning, and she likes to do it in the eveningm so it works out well. I'm more addicted than she is, and from time to time I checking at work. I wasn't about to let my kids fight over who had access by having them share a plan, so I made each of them pay for their own using the multi-device discount since they all have jobs.

Since my lowest drink package on a 9 nighter on Navigator this time last year, I haven't seen a drink package as low as what I got on that sailing. It was $38 a day per person. Huge bargain. Since then, the lowest I have seen on my bookings has been $45.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, KLAconQueso said:

This is what my husband and I are doing on our upcoming cruise. The combined DP and Voom deal didn't work out all that well for us on this cruise, so we're just sharing a code. It doesn't sound like Voom on Adventure is working all that great, anyway.

Yeah based on ping times it it doesn't look like they touched the satellite platform.  Bummer. 

5 hours ago, DunkelBierJay said:

My wife and I will share a plan. I like to go on and do stuff in the morning, and she likes to do it in the eveningm so it works out well. I'm more addicted than she is, and from time to time I checking at work. 

Consider a portable travel router.  I use one to share a Voom plan with multiple devices.  I use it primarily in my cabin so my laptop and phone can both be connected at the same time.  While its a $45 investment that is one time and can be used on future cruises.  That's two days of Voom.  It doesn't do as much outside of the cabin though, unless you want to carry it around with a battery pack.  I plan to do a write up on Liberty next week explaining how to use one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Digmenow said:

Any chance that you can post the manufacturer and model number?  My tech loving son in law wants to look into this further before we sail.  Thanks!

I have an older one and a newer one.  

TP-Link MR3040:  Pro's - small with self contained battery.  Con's - Long since discontinued, no firmware updates, 2.4 GHz only, have had mixed success with.  More fiddling to get it to work.

MR3040-74.jpg.b12e82bb628a568c635221c87802e39f.jpg

TP-Link AC750 TL-WR902AC:  Pro's - 2.4 & 5 GHz bands, current model, good experience so far.  Con's - No internal battery but can be paired with an external battery and carried in a pocket or backpack.

5a8edef4d64cd_AnthemRouter-1.jpg.808bcf8ba8f16e4058592d71eeffccd5.jpg

There is another potential benefit of using a travel router.  Ship wifi access points are in the hallways.  The ship's access point may be down the hall away from your cabin.  Cabins have a lot of metal including the door.   Sometimes the wifi signal isn't that good inside each cabin and if your bed is further away from the door the signal can be really weak in bed or for your device on the nightstand each night.  The travel router connects to the ship wifi and then broadcasts its own wifi that your devices latch onto.  In that sense it is like a repeater than be placed closer to the door where ship wifi is stronger and since it is generating its own wifi within your cabin your devices should have little trouble connecting to it.   

In another thread someone asked about newer units just released with all the latest and greatest wifi standards and >1Gbps throughput. In my opinion I don't need all that when traveling at a higher cost.  I also don't want the most powerful AP that could interfere with the ship wifi and catch the attention of onboard IT.  

I am planning to do a separate thread on using a travel router onboard.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest toodle68
36 minutes ago, twangster said:

I am planning to do a separate thread on using a travel router onboard.  

Oh good..  I thought a router was not possible since you had to log on and authenticate..

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, twangster said:

Consider a portable travel router.  I use one to share a Voom plan with multiple devices.  I use it primarily in my cabin so my laptop and phone can both be connected at the same time.  While its a $45 investment that is one time and can be used on future cruises.  That's two days of Voom.  It doesn't do as much outside of the cabin though, unless you want to carry it around with a battery pack.  I plan to do a write up on Liberty next week explaining how to use one.

Hmm...so this might be a dumb question (I get pretty lost in these tech discussions) but if I had one of these, then all 4 of us could use VOOM in the stateroom even if we only have a 2 device plan?  My kids will be overjoyed if the answer is yes....

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Hmm...so this might be a dumb question (I get pretty lost in these tech discussions) but if I had one of these, then all 4 of us could use VOOM in the stateroom even if we only have a 2 device plan?  My kids will be overjoyed if the answer is yes....

The short answer is yes. The slightly longer answer is that I believe you'll need to have one of your two device logins tied up all the time with the router, unless you feel comfortable going through the connection step every time you go back to your cabin; @twangster can qualify that as far as how easily one can re-connect after the first-time setup when you board.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

The short answer is yes. The slightly longer answer is that I believe you'll need to have one of your two device logins tied up all the time with the router, unless you feel comfortable going through the connection step every time you go back to your cabin; @twangster can qualify that as far as how easily one can re-connect after the first-time setup when you board.

Ok...eagerly waiting @twangster's thread on how to use one of these things onboard...did I mention I leave in 14 days 😏

Good thing Amazon can ship next day!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, twangster said:

I have an older one and a newer one.  

TP-Link MR3040:  Pro's - small with self contained battery.  Con's - Long since discontinued, no firmware updates, 2.4 GHz only, have had mixed success with.  More fiddling to get it to work.

MR3040-74.jpg.b12e82bb628a568c635221c87802e39f.jpg

TP-Link AC750 TL-WR902AC:  Pro's - 2.4 & 5 GHz bands, current model, good experience so far.  Con's - No internal battery but can be paired with an external battery and carried in a pocket or backpack.

5a8edef4d64cd_AnthemRouter-1.jpg.808bcf8ba8f16e4058592d71eeffccd5.jpg

There is another potential benefit of using a travel router.  Ship wifi access points are in the hallways.  The ship's access point may be down the hall away from your cabin.  Cabins have a lot of metal including the door.   Sometimes the wifi signal isn't that good inside each cabin and if your bed is further away from the door the signal can be really weak in bed or for your device on the nightstand each night.  The travel router connects to the ship wifi and then broadcasts its own wifi that your devices latch onto.  In that sense it is like a repeater than be placed closer to the door where ship wifi is stronger and since it is generating its own wifi within your cabin your devices should have little trouble connecting to it.   

In another thread someone asked about newer units just released with all the latest and greatest wifi standards and >1Gbps throughput. In my opinion I don't need all that when traveling at a higher cost.  I also don't want the most powerful AP that could interfere with the ship wifi and catch the attention of onboard IT.  

I am planning to do a separate thread on using a travel router onboard.  

I would be interested in learning how to do this too!

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 2/22/2018 at 12:31 PM, Sabrinaklai said:

Ok...eagerly waiting @twangster's thread on how to use one of these things onboard...did I mention I leave in 14 days 😏

Good thing Amazon can ship next day!

On 2/22/2018 at 1:40 PM, whitsmom said:

I would be interested in learning how to do this too!

On 2/22/2018 at 9:37 AM, Digmenow said:

...That said, embarking in 10 days... 

I've look at a new post, no sense getting this thread any more off track.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 year later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...