Regional Alcohol

aogardner

Hi there! First time posting but y'all have helped me through 2 RC vacations :5_smiley:

Our second trip happens aboard Rhapsody in early January. Our stops include Belize, Cozumel, Costa Maya and Grand Cayman. I have several family and friends (plus me) who love to try some regional alcohol from the areas we travel - especially if they are not widely available in the US. Do you have any recommendations for these particular ports?

TIA!

4 hours ago, aogardner said:

Grand Cayman

If you like rum, you have to try the BBD rum. The Cayman Islands is the ONLY Caribbean Island that makes/sells it. Here's a link that will give you some interesting info on the BBD rum: https://therumhowlerblog.com/rum-reviews/flavoured-spiced-rums/review-big-black-dick-dark-caribbean-rum/. Enjoy!:27_sunglasses:

19 hours ago, rjac said:

If you like rum, you have to try the BBD rum. The Cayman Islands is the ONLY Caribbean Island that makes/sells it. Here's a link that will give you some interesting info on the BBD rum: https://therumhowlerblog.com/rum-reviews/flavoured-spiced-rums/review-big-black-dick-dark-caribbean-rum/. Enjoy!:27_sunglasses:

Thank you!!

23 hours ago, Matt said:

Good question.  I don't have any specific local liquors, but in all the ports, you ought to be able to walk around the downtown area and talk with shop keepers about what's good.  Might lead to discovering some great new drinks!

Great idea - Thanks!

20 hours ago, rjac said:

That review is epic!! :4_joy:

Belize has a company called Traveler's that makes 5 Barrel Rum that is pretty decent, and "Don Omario 15 Year Royal Edition" which is worth the effort to locate.  You may need to go to the distillery on an excursion to purchase it as I didn't see it anywhere near the port.  I have a bottle of the 15 Year in my collection, but I don't remember the cost.

Cozumel would be a good place for tequila (even though it's no where near where they actually make the stuff); I'd get one in a fancy bottle as a momento, or a nice brand like Casa Noble.

If you ever go to the Southern Caribbean from San Juan down to Barbados or Grenada, let me know... I have a whole list of places to go to and rums to purchase. :)  

7 hours ago, bcarney said:

Belize has a company called Traveler's that makes 5 Barrel Rum that is pretty decent, and "Don Omario 15 Year Royal Edition" which is worth the effort to locate.  You may need to go to the distillery on an excursion to purchase it as I didn't see it anywhere near the port.  I have a bottle of the 15 Year in my collection, but I don't remember the cost.

Cozumel would be a good place for tequila (even though it's no where near where they actually make the stuff); I'd get one in a fancy bottle as a momento, or a nice brand like Casa Noble.

If you ever go to the Southern Caribbean from San Juan down to Barbados or Grenada, let me know... I have a whole list of places to go to and rums to purchase. :)  

I don't always drink rum, but when I do, I don't remember the label!:69_zzz:

15 hours ago, bcarney said:

I really like rum and tequila, but don't really know much about it, such was what's good and what's not.  

We will be hitting Falmouth and Cozumel in a month.  I see that you mention Casa Noble - any other suggestions?  I don't plan on heading into Falmouth; probably stay in the scaredy pants area.

Image result for help us obi wan gif

On 12/24/2017 at 1:00 AM, Floski said:

I really like rum and tequila, but don't really know much about it, such was what's good and what's not.  

We will be hitting Falmouth and Cozumel in a month.  I see that you mention Casa Noble - any other suggestions?  I don't plan on heading into Falmouth; probably stay in the scaredy pants area.

Since you're stopping in Jamaica, look for Monymusk Special Reserve, Appleton Estate 21 or 30 year (or whatever your wallet allows; Appleton's Joy Anniversary Edition if you really want to step out).  When we were in Ocho Rios a few years ago I stumbled across Mt Gay's 300 Anniversary Rum (from Barbados) for only $175, it was $300 when I looked at it in Bridgetown, Barbados, so you never know what you might find in the cruise port shopping areas.

There's also a few other good distillers in Jamaica like Hampden and Worthy Park, but I don't have any personal recommendations since I've only had stuff they've created for export or blending.

I'm not very knowledgeable about tequila. The Casa Noble I mentioned was a 5 year aged tequila.  A store owner can probably recommend something similar.

What's good: taste it. Do you like it?  Then it's good. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We sailed on Rhapsody last January. On our Cozumel ruins and beach excursion on the other side of the island, we visited a tequila maker on the way back known as Arc Angel. We had several samples the SMOOTHEST tequila I have ever tasted & our server, Fernando, was a very fun & cheerful guy. We just had to bring a bottle back & each time I open it I'm glad I did. ( I'm running low, though!)

Hopefully, I'm writing this in time for you to read this since you gave a departure date on "early January".

Happy Sailing!

Steve