Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I'm looking for thoughts regarding the purchase of VOOM for our 7 night Western Caribbean on Allure in June...sadly, we can't swing the Alaska group cruise that month.

  • Family of Five
  • We are getting two adjoining Central Park Balconies
  • Stateroom 1 -- 2 people (ages -- old) -- share 1 package
  • Stateroom 2 -- 3 people (ages 17, 20, 22) -- a package each for sanity
  • We are contemplating getting a 4 device plan on Stateroom 1 at $39.17 per day = ~$7.83 cost per person per day (about half the single device plan) -- the cruise planner doesn't allow for purchase of plans across reservation numbers like booking dinner reservations.

I may be answering my question by writing this, but has anyone encountered issues with buying a multiple device plan and allowing others from another stateroom to use the logins? I can't think of an issue where this may be a problem, but I may not be thinking it through. It's also easier to write this than explaining it on the phone to RC.

I have only bought one-device plans on previous cruises.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You’ll get 4 codes with the plan that are used for logging into the WiFi. They don’t track which devices belong to what stateroom, so just give 3 of the codes to your kids and let them log on. Then just you and your wife have to share one code; when one of you logs in, the other will be logged out and have to reconnect next time that device is used.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got an email from Royal saying there is a Black Friday discount in effect for these multi-device plans. My cruise panner doesn't show a banner, but I had to call Royal anyway because once again, I couldn't rebook my Dragon's Breath zip line for the lower rate online due to a "calendar conflict". Confirmed with the rep that the 4-device plan's current price (same $39.17 per day on my Freedom cruise that you were seeing for Allure, @spiegeje -- DunkelBier_Jay) is a 30% discount off the regular onboard rate. So went ahead and bought that to lock in the price; it's definitely a good per-device rate and comparable to the best discount I remember seeing reported here for a single device.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

I got an email from Royal saying there is a Black Friday discount in effect for these multi-device plans. My cruise panner doesn't show a banner, but I had to call Royal anyway because once again, I couldn't rebook my Dragon's Breath zip line for the lower rate online due to a "calendar conflict". Confirmed with the rep that the 4-device plan's current price (same $39.17 per day on my Freedom cruise that you were seeing for Allure, @spiegeje -- DunkelBier_Jay) is a 30% discount off the regular onboard rate. So went ahead and bought that to lock in the price; it's definitely a good per-device rate and comparable to the best discount I remember seeing reported here for a single device.

That's my price on Anthem too Joe.  Funny, I was just looking at the 4 device plan thinking if I could spoil my kids any more if I got them each one......haven't done anything yet.

It works out to just over $9/day which as you say is way lower than any single device.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Price is the same $39.17 per day today for the 4-device package that it was yesterday. So much for being a Black Friday only rate. :40_rage: 

Well, I'll check again on Cyber Monday, and again later in the week to see just how badly I was played. And I will take consolation in the knowledge that I genuinely had intended to buy that this month anyway along with my monthly payment, as the last item I needed to get apart from my reservation for Chef's Table and maybe the photo package.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Price is the same $39.17 per day today for the 4-device package that it was yesterday. So much for being a Black Friday only rate. :40_rage: 

Well, I'll check again on Cyber Monday, and again later in the week to see just how badly I was played. And I will take consolation in the knowledge that I genuinely had intended to buy that this month anyway along with my monthly payment, as the last item I needed to get apart from my reservation for Chef's Table and maybe the photo package.

We are doing chefs table the week before...I will let you know how it is! 

I was really really hoping for cyber sales on the refreshment pkg (for my teen) or the coffee card.   I can't tell if the excursions went down for our sailing or not!  We really check out during the cruise so im not planning on the voom pkg unless my teen pays for it!  Jane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

We are doing chefs table the week before...I will let you know how it is! 

I was really really hoping for cyber sales on the refreshment pkg (for my teen) or the coffee card.   I can't tell if the excursions went down for our sailing or not!  We really check out during the cruise so im not planning on the voom pkg unless my teen pays for it!  Jane

I don't know if I've even seen a discount on the coffee card.  I did get a sale on the refreshment package for my 20 yr old - it was discounted to $18 from $26.  May 2018 sailing.  I think the same price was offered for my October 2018 sailing.  I did NOT see a sale for the soda package though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/24/2017 at 11:47 AM, spiegeje -- DunkelBier_Jay said:

I may be answering my question by writing this, but has anyone encountered issues with buying a multiple device plan and allowing others from another stateroom to use the logins? I can't think of an issue where this may be a problem, but I may not be thinking it through. It's also easier to write this than explaining it on the phone to RC.

No issues with RC.  It's meant to be shared.  The issue you may run into is someone else not logging out of a device to give you an opportunity to login.  As in, they log into their phone and then also log into their laptop, which takes 2 logins as active until one logs out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, toodle68 said:

We are taking 4 kids on a cruise soon.. 17, 18, 22, 23.. told them if they wanted internet to pay for it themselves  :)

In the end, that's what we told ours too.  We only got the 2 device plan.  My girls were whining and complaining and we told them they can get it if they pay the difference between the 2 and 4 device plan. It was very quiet after they broke out the calculator lol.  They are only 9 and 11 😆

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, toodle68 said:

We are taking 4 kids on a cruise soon.. 17, 18, 22, 23.. told them if they wanted internet to pay for it themselves  :)

I hear ya!  We are taking our 18 & 20 on Adventure in May; we got 1 device for all four of us to share, and only because it was lumped in with a soda package for my 18 year old.  They will complain, but as I am paying for it they will be required to share with me so I can scope that week.  That is, of course, if VOOM cooperates.  Hoping in the upcoming refurb that issue is addressed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2017 at 10:52 PM, KathyC said:

I don't know if I've even seen a discount on the coffee card.  I did get a sale on the refreshment package for my 20 yr old - it was discounted to $18 from $26.  May 2018 sailing.  I think the same price was offered for my October 2018 sailing.  I did NOT see a sale for the soda package though. 

Based on the cost per drink of the coffee card verses the a la carte cost for many drinks on board combined with the hard to find nature of it on the drink package page in the cruise planner, I would be very surprised to see this card discounted.

3 hours ago, toodle68 said:

We are taking 4 kids on a cruise soon.. 17, 18, 22, 23.. told them if they wanted internet to pay for it themselves  :)

1 hour ago, KathyC said:

I hear ya!  We are taking our 18 & 20 on Adventure in May; we got 1 device for all four of us to share, and only because it was lumped in with a soda package for my 18 year old.  They will complain, but as I am paying for it they will be required to share with me so I can scope that week.  That is, of course, if VOOM cooperates.  Hoping in the upcoming refurb that issue is addressed.

I'm playing my kids by buying the 4 device plan and telling them that they are saving $35 each over the course of the cruise when I collect from them to buy the four device plan. They aren't complaining even though their cost will be about $70 each! Teaching them real world consumerism!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...