New cruise booking on ship

JBC1

I think it varies depending on the ship. You may get a reduced deposit or on board credit or discount if that is what is being offered. The one time we did an on board booking we got the reduced deposit and choice of of a really great stateroom, an aft cabin with a large balcony. Haven't had that luck since!

I was trying to find @Matt's blog post from earlier this year that was detailing some changes to the Next Cruise program, but I'm coming up empty. Here is an older link giving details from the program before this year's changes: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2016/08/11/royal-caribbean-next-cruise-program-details-info-and-tips

What I do recall of the changes is that the amount of On Board Credit that you get has been reduced and is no longer based off the amount of money you put down as the deposit. And I believe that you do still get a reduced deposit amount compared to booking online. But the actual final fare amount isn't discounted compared to what you see with an online booking; that was true even before this year's changes. The "discount" was basically the OBC you would get for that future cruise.

I'd personally argue that between the changes made this year and the new Price Integrity Policy, going through Next Cruise is now more about convenience than anything else. If your cruise happens to line up with the week new itineraries become available, then it might actually "save" you a little bit thanks to the extra OBC vs. regular booking. But for anything after that week / month the itineraries become available, the booking prices are likely to be higher and the OBC won't offset that increase.

33 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

I was trying to find @Matt's blog post from earlier this year that was detailing some changes to the Next Cruise program, but I'm coming up empty. Here is an older link giving details from the program before this year's changes: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2016/08/11/royal-caribbean-next-cruise-program-details-info-and-tips

What I do recall of the changes is that the amount of On Board Credit that you get has been reduced and is no longer based off the amount of money you put down as the deposit. And I believe that you do still get a reduced deposit amount compared to booking online. But the actual final fare amount isn't discounted compared to what you see with an online booking; that was true even before this year's changes. The "discount" was basically the OBC you would get for that future cruise.

I'd personally argue that between the changes made this year and the new Price Integrity Policy, going through Next Cruise is now more about convenience than anything else. If your cruise happens to line up with the week new itineraries become available, then it might actually "save" you a little bit thanks to the extra OBC vs. regular booking. But for anything after that week / month the itineraries become available, the booking prices are likely to be higher and the OBC won't offset that increase.

This might the the link...

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2017/07/30/royal-caribbean-alters-nextcruise-onboard-booking-bonus