Panama canal cruise

mworkman

We did the 11 Night Ultimate Caribbean & Panama Cruise on the Jewel of the Seas in 2010. The trip induced Cartegena, the Panama Canal, Costa Rica and a few other ports which I can't remember. The Canal & Costa Rica were very interesting. Cartegena, not so much. Tons and tons of beggars ( many of whom were very handicapped), very pushing street vendors and not so clean. After seeing the movie "Jewel of the Nile", my wife insisted we see Cartegena, boy was she sorry! Needless to say we won't be going back there anytime soon! However, she did get a really nice gold and emerald ring for a very decent price. Whenever she wears the ring, I'll look at it and smile to which she'll says "don't even say it". :27_sunglasses: 

35 minutes ago, mworkman said:

What ship could they dedicate to cruising the panama canal more that what's currently offered?  With that said, i also include Limon, Costa Rica and Cartagena, Columbia as ports of call?

Great question...cruising the Panama Canal is on my cruise bucket list for one day, however, I have tend to prefer the newer ships and that has deterred me from looking more closely at RC Panama cruises.  I suspect they will continue to use their older, smaller ships because of size right?  Are all their newer ships too big to fit there?  Unless they build a new ship one day that is on a smaller scale.

Vision and Radiance class ships have been the primary ships to go through the canal (Majesty and Empress could fit too, just haven't done it historically).

The expanded canal theoretically can accommodate larger ships, but my understanding is it is very expensive for a cruise line to do it.

4 hours ago, rjac said:

However, she did get a really nice gold and emerald ring for a very decent price. Whenever she wears the ring, I'll look at it and smile to which she'll says "don't even say it". :27_sunglasses: 

@rjac , we did the same cruise but on a Princess ship, we did ours in 2001, in Columbia we couldn't even get off the ship unless you were on an excursion (Armed guards), armed military every place.

Also bought my wife a very nice emerald and gold ring, I get the same look and basically the same response.