Do you recommend self assist debarkation?

Julie

Yes - it was great.  We used self assist debarkation to get off the Quantum yesterday.

The instruction was to go to deck 5 forward (theater) or rear (two70).  When we got off the elevator on deck 5 there was a staff member directing self assist people to a gangway on deck 5.  We went right to the gangway and not to the theater or two70.

We left about 7:30 a.m. and did not wait in any lines to get off the ship or at customs.  There was an elevator once off the ship so we did not need to struggle with our luggage on the escalator.

We will defiantly self assist from now on. 

I recommend it in general. Its fast and you can be on the way home rather than in the depressing end of cruise waiting spots :P . I strongly suggest it in Galveston as the horrid experience that is Galveston customs was far less painful first thing that morning. It also helped to not be heading through Houston during lunch hour(I hate mega city traffic lol).

Definitely worthwhile, we did this on the Allure when we had a 10:20AM flight.  We were off the ship, to the airport and through security before 8:00AM.  One word of warning, at least at Port Canaveral, If you do not have a free hand (ie. you are holding or pulling bags in each hand) they make you stand in line to use the elevator as opposed to going down the escalator, this can be a slow process.

• 3 weeks later...

They don't force you off when your number is called so if you just want to sit on the boat until the last number is called you can do so.

The biggest difference between self assist and waiting on your number is whether you turn your luggage over the night before or carry it yourself.

If it were me and I was in no rush I would turn my luggage in the night before so that I don't have to keep track of it all morning on disembarkation day and then at some point after my number was called do a leisurely walk off. There isn't a lot of stuff open though since the ships focus is on getting everyone off so they can turn it around and get everyone on again though.

We are staying locally after our next cruise (1PM check-in) so looking for latest debarkation as possible. Am I better off asking for a higher number or doing self assist? How late can you leave generally?

Luke.

You don't have to leave when they call your number.  Usually latest time to leave is between 9-9:30am.  

Trust me, the crew will let you know when it's time to leave :P

I don't recall the exact time for being out of the cabin, but that is a different story. They want to get the cabins stripped, cleaned and ready so there is a time slot when you have to be out of the cabin. They have the various lounge areas setup for you to wait in before getting off the ship but they want you out of the cabin.

I think its 8 or 9 is the deadline to be out of the cabins but I am guessing on the time.

I strongly suggest it in Galveston as the horrid experience that is Galveston customs was far less painful first thing that morning.

I love most things about living in Galveston and cruising from here, but I agree that waiting in the Customs line here is horrible. I wrote to the Port Director about our experience. Hopefully they address it when they expand Terminal 2 for Liberty of the Seas this year. I'm definitely doing self-assist debarkation for all future cruises no matter which port!

• 3 weeks later...

We are staying locally after our next cruise (1PM check-in) so looking for latest debarkation as possible. Am I better off asking for a higher number or doing self assist? How late can you leave generally?

Luke.

Thought I would tell you what we did in the end.

We stayed onboard till 9AM which was when they were making final announcements for people to disembark. Because we were one of the last (there was still more cases to be picked up) we just wondered off, walked straight up to our cases and walked out. This was a domestic cruises so no Customs but I suspect that would've been easier too. Leaving at 9 we were able to have a slightly rushed breakfast in the main dining room before we got off. Unless we have other commitments this is what we will do on our future cruises.

Only issue we had. Because we had two cabins they had different numbers and the cases were offloaded to different levels at the pier so if I was to do it again I would make sure all the cases had the same number.