UDP and MDR gratuities

So the wife and I decided to the UDP for our 6 night on Explorer. Obviously, that means that we are unlikely to eat in the MDR.

So the question then is - how should we deal with the server gratuities that are automatically added to the onboard account? I'm not sure if we should be giving a tip to servers that we'll never see in the MDR?

13 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Your gratuities will be switched from the MDR to the specialty restaurants.  You don’t have to do anything.

According to the cruise planner gratuities were included in the cost of the UDP.

Anyway, I will probably end up not touching the gratuities, but I have time to sort everything out.

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

That works for your room steward, but not the others that you'll likely never see.

I have no desire to go down that rabbit hole, we all know what happens; I am comfortable with my decision, I have been doing it this way since the advent of the auto gratuity.

The OP asked how to deal with the gratuities, I gave a very prudent solution

We had UDP on our Icon cruise, and we never set foot in the MDR or Windjammer. I removed the automatic gratuities and paid our room steward in cash. We had 2 non-suite rooms, so I paid him $120 in cash. I felt good about this decision, since the cost of UDP already included gratuities. I also added relatively small ($20) additional tips on our specialty dining meals...

30 minutes ago, putinbay said:

We had UDP on our Icon cruise, and we never set foot in the MDR or Windjammer. I removed the automatic gratuities and paid our room steward in cash. We had 2 non-suite rooms, so I paid him $120 in cash. I felt good about this decision, since the cost of UDP already included gratuities. I also added relatively small ($20) additional tips on our specialty dining meals...

I understand, but the invisible crew got nothing. I just can't see that as an approach I would use.

I wish more cruise lines would go to the Virgin Voyages approach where gratuities are not even a discussion.  It’s frustrating that everything onboard has 18% added or $18 pp/day added then at the end you get the “Tip Tip Hooray” envelopes.  I don’t mind taking care of others that take care of you but I am so often confused on RCL.  When I started hearing that the daily gratuities were also compensation for back office hotel staff, cabin assistants, laundry staff, kitchen staff, dining room support staff, etc. I just started accepting that these charges should be regarded as a part of the cruise fare.