Chichen Itza Ruins excursion

AMauldin

What exactly are you concerned about?
That you might not make it back to ship in time? Book through RC and you'll be fine.
That you might not have very long at the ruins themselves? This is valid- we spent 2hrs max there through the RC excursion out of Cozumel, the vast majority of the excursion is travel time. However, we were still really glad we did it, since we're not sure we would make it back to the Yucatan for a stand-alone vacation.

I agree with both @Woody14 and @loki007.  If you have never seen Chichen Itza, it is worth the effort.  It’s a long drive and a long day….but it is one of the 7 Wonders of the World !  Do it once.  …but if you don’t want a super long day, you will probably want to skip it.  We visited cruise ports in Mexico, probably 50 times before we finally made it to Chichen Itza on a cruise that called at Progresso.  I highly recommend this.  It’s still a long drive but you get to skip the ferry ride from COZ to Playa del Carmen, which is a big plus..  

• 4 weeks later...

I'm calling on Progresso for the first time next year and seriously considering Chichen Itza as well.  I've been to Cozumel a million times but never considered it from there because of the required ride on the vomit comet.  However no RC excursion is available for it from Progresso just yet so no idea on the actual travel time.

On 4/26/2024 at 12:28 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

Hmmmm...trying to remember.  It was long....1.5 hours each way ?  I'm guessing as I do not remember exactly.  Hopefully others will have a better recollection.

From Cozumel, looking at the timestamps on my photos, we were in the Windjammer at 7:25am having breakfast and getting ready to leave the ship.  We took the Vomit Comet over and were in the plaza on the mainland heading through to the bus pickup station at 9:20am.  First photos at Chichen Itza were at 12:05pm.  Last photos were at 12:58pm.  Boarded the Vomit Comet for return at 3:30pm.

I'd do it from Progresso if possible to skip the ferry portion of the trip. 

Pro tip: don't do it in late July like we did. It's quite hot down there. 🙂