On Board Credit ???

rjac

My brother & sister in law will be with us next April on the Allure. He has a Royal Caribbean credit card and has amassed close to 200,000 points. If he redeems a healthy portion of those for on board credit within 180 days of the cruise date, can he use the OBC to purchase excursions, royal gifts, dinning packages, etc on line before we cruise? Thanks and sorry if this has been discussed before..:27_sunglasses:

You will get answers all over the board on this one and it seems it might even vary by cruise.  My personal experience so far is "yes".  I redeemed 5000 points in July.  At first it didn't show up in my planner.  Then when the bill for July was posted in my BoA site, sure enough a few days later the OBC ($50) appeared in my planner.  This month I redeemed an additional 20000 points.  My bill cut off on Sunday and I am now hoping to see another $200 in my planner within the next few days.  My cruise is LoS in January.

10 minutes ago, jce2 said:

You will get answers all over the board on this one and it seems it might even vary by cruise.  My personal experience so far is "yes".  I redeemed 5000 points in July.  At first it didn't show up in my planner.  Then when the bill for July was posted in my BoA site, sure enough a few days later the OBC ($50) appeared in my planner.  This month I redeemed an additional 20000 points.  My bill cut off on Sunday and I am now hoping to see another $200 in my planner within the next few days.  My cruise is LoS in January.

Thanks.

Guest toodle68

Yes..  from my recently experience though, don't expect the on-board credit to hit your account quickly.  I did part payment to my cruise which took effect within 7 days, but the on-board credit was approx a month.

5 hours ago, ellcee said:

The website allows you to easily use your credit and there will be a popup and an icon on the top of the screen when he books anything.

This is how I plan to pay for my drink package. Got the RC card, will get as many points as I can for 11 months.:8_laughing:

If it's a new card and you are getting the thousands of bonus points, that's great. However, the RC card pays only 1% on purchases other than for RC. Other cards pay 2% on everything. Why not double your cash back and just pay for the drink package?

2 hours ago, Skid said:

If it's a new card and you are getting the thousands of bonus points, that's great. However, the RC card pays only 1% on purchases other than for RC. Other cards pay 2% on everything. Why not double your cash back and just pay for the drink package?

It's a new card so $100 is automatic. Putting the cruise itself, the drink package, voom, excursions, etc on the card...makes sense for me. Waiting for a good deal on the drink package plus the OBC means I am actually paying about 1/2 of the price. I'm not big on opening new cards free money works.

13 hours ago, ellcee said:

It's a new card so $100 is automatic. Putting the cruise itself, the drink package, voom, excursions, etc on the card...makes sense for me. Waiting for a good deal on the drink package plus the OBC means I am actually paying about 1/2 of the price. I'm not big on opening new cards free money works.

ellcee I've been going back and forth thinking about getting the CC from Royal or Celebrity ( have both cruises booked). Are you using the card to pay for the cruise itself as well as everything else. I'm paying off bit by bit on each cruise so would that build points too? The Platimum celebrity however is $69.00 annual fee. Supposedly either card is good for either company.

5 hours ago, DocLC said:

I get 3% cash back with my Costco Visa on travel purchases, so there's no incentive for me to get the Royal Caribbean branded card. 

Very true, DocLC, but keep in mind that by getting that card (no annual fee) and making just one purchase (it can be a cup of coffee) within 65 days you get 10,000 bonus points which is good for $100 OBC. So if you and and family members each get a card, you have a few hundred dollars.

2 hours ago, Boston Babe said:

ellcee I've been going back and forth thinking about getting the CC from Royal or Celebrity ( have both cruises booked). Are you using the card to pay for the cruise itself as well as everything else. I'm paying off bit by bit on each cruise so would that build points too? The Platimum celebrity however is $69.00 annual fee. Supposedly either card is good for either company.

I've had my RC card for almost a year now and got it for the extra OBC since we'll now be cruising with a child (every little bit helps).  I pay for all my RC stuff with the card.  Yes, if you make payments towards the cruise(s) it will get you double points, from any of the 3 brands/lines.  So if your cruise is $5000, you'd get 10,000 points.  Also, connect it to your seapass account onboard and any purchases not made with OBC will get you double points.  Hopefully that made sense.

I looked into the Celebrity card, but I don't spend enough to justify the annual fee.  The perks are a little better with the Celebrity card if I remember correctly.  Dig up and read all the fine print.

1 hour ago, RestingBirds said:

I've had my RC card for almost a year now and got it for the extra OBC since we'll now be cruising with a child (every little bit helps).  I pay for all my RC stuff with the card.  Yes, if you make payments towards the cruise(s) it will get you double points, from any of the 3 brands/lines.  So if your cruise is $5000, you'd get 10,000 points.  Also, connect it to your seapass account onboard and any purchases not made with OBC will get you double points.  Hopefully that made sense.

I looked into the Celebrity card, but I don't spend enough to justify the annual fee.  The perks are a little better with the Celebrity card if I remember correctly.  Dig up and read all the fine print.

Thanks so much!   Celebrity does have a no fee one too basically the same as RC. So my guess is depending on which ship you are using the card goes to that booking.

I didn't know about using it on board though so that's great!! Thanks again and best of luck traveling now with your child too!

6 hours ago, Boston Babe said:

I think I did my research - I haven't opened a new card in years, I'm funny about having a lot of cards. Yup, I'm using it to pay off the trip. I figure I'll charge a little a month til it's paid off. Only RC related purchases for this card. My goal is to get the drink package and between the discount (I have 11 months so one should pop up) and OBC I'll basically pay half.

4 hours ago, RestingBirds said:

Also, connect it to your seapass account onboard and any purchases not made with OBC will get you double points.  Hopefully that made sense.

Brilliant.