Rental Cars

My family and I are looking to drive to the port from NC. There will be 6 of us and using two cars isn't an option. I don't care to pay for a rental AND parking for a week. Does anyone know if you can rent a car one way? I know most people fly in, but besides the price of 6 people flying, I have 2 that are physically unable due to medical issues. Any help is appreciated.

Yes you can do one way rentals. You would then have to either drop off your family at the port, and bring the vehicle to a rental return location, then uber/lyft back to the port, or drop the car and have everyone uber/lyft to the port.  You would then have to do the same in reverse to get home. 

You can price this out at any of the rental agencies. There is usually a checkbox for "return to a different location"

Sometimes though, you may find, its actually cheaper to keep the car for the week, park at the port, and bring it back to the original location than it is for two one way rentals, and ride share fees etc etc. Also the convenience of just having the car there too should be factored into your decision. 

As GregD noted you can do this. Which port and from where approximately? How many days to drive there? Use one of the travel sites and run the scenarios to see if it is economically viable. Probably going to run you $200 - $250 each way if you are going to Florida.

1 hour ago, Psycho and Barb said:

Depend on your cruise port...It might have rental car pick and drop off service.  When looking for rental drop off locations close to your port, ask them if they offer it.  We have done it one time but I can't remember what port in Florida it was right now.

At Both Ft Lauderdale and Miami cruise ports, Avis has a drop location with a free shuttle to the port

1 hour ago, CanHardlyWait said:

There is usually a heavy fee involved for one way rentals. But it's absolutely possible. Put your info in on a booking site and see what you get. 

I typically get the one-way from the airport to Port Canaveral for $90 for a full size car.

5 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I typically get the one-way from the airport to Port Canaveral for $90 for a full size car.

Florida is the only exception to the rule (that I know of) for no fee one way rentals. Coming from NC a one way fee probably would apply in her case. It's very simple to do a sample booking online and see rates. Assuming by now she has?

21 minutes ago, CanHardlyWait said:

Florida is the only exception to the rule (that I know of) for no fee one way rentals. Coming from NC a one way fee probably would apply in her case. It's very simple to do a sample booking online and see rates. Assuming by now she has?

I've found one way rentals like that tend to have a $150-$250 surcharge. But at that point you're going for convenience.