Introductions/ NJ in November!

guittech

Hi all,  greetings from Toronto!

My wife and I have cruised a few times with Carnival, and enjoyed it, but this year, in looking for a "lower cost" cruise vacation, we have decided to carpool with our inlaws to Cape Liberty and cruise

Now, to explain the "cheaper" side, we usually sail from Miami, and like to arrive a day early to hang out.  Flights to Miami with a semi-nice hotel and dinner, end up costing the same or more than we pay to cruise.  So this year we chose NJ cause we can drive, and instead of 2 flights and a hotel, we are sharing gas with our inlaws.  So overall, a nicer cruise, for a little less $$$

I am full of questions, but don't know where to start lol.  

This post I guess i'll focus on the departure port!

A few questions, 

1- Weather.  I realize it will be chilly, but just wondering what the locals wear in November.  I realize i will need a jacket, but I am a Canuck and used to cold and wind, so I won't need my winter coat!  What do locals/North Easterners wear in that weather?

2-Arriving early!  We may arrive early and I am wondering what to do with our time!  There is a little shopping to be done (bottle of wine, sea sickness tabs you can't get up here) But to avoid problems we will most likely be  several hours early.  Any reccomendations for a long slow breakfast or something interesting to do near the port?

3-  On the subject of wine and seasickness drugs, any reccomended wine stores near a drug store?  Since we usually cruise from Miami, we can get both wine and other supplies at CVS, but I believe wine is currently only available in liquor stores in NJ.

4-Any other tips or ideas?  We will be driving overnight, so a rock wall climb might be out, but a fun shopping area or something to hit before the cruise might be good.

I am really looking forward to the cruise!  I like Carnival overall, but find their inexpensive cruises tend to attract some HEAVY DRINKING young bucks.  I don't mind people drinking, and I am known to throw a few back, but 20 somethings sunburned lobster red, and dry heaving in the cabin next door is not my preferred way to wake up in the morning.

Thanks in advance

Dave

I can help with weather - I'm in NY. Since you're a Canadian I'd say you'd be fine.  November can be 50s-60's. Check the weather to see how it's been since weather is well, weather and we can have a snow storm or a 70 degree day. A light jacket with a sweater could be just fine.

11 minutes ago, guittech said:

Weather.  I realize it will be chilly, but just wondering what the locals wear in November.  I realize i will need a jacket, but I am a Canuck and used to cold and wind, so I won't need my winter coat!  What do locals/North Easterners wear in that weather?

It can vary, but very likely jeans and sweater weather.  A jacket is likely necessary too.

12 minutes ago, guittech said:

Any reccomendations for a long slow breakfast or something interesting to do near the port?

The port is a rather desolate area.  There are some things in the surrounding area, but need a car/taxi to get to them. If you're going to the port, you're going to for check-in and that's about it.

There is a 9/11 memorial park right next to the park, but that's not much more than some time looking at the memorial and taking the view in.

14 minutes ago, guittech said:

any reccomended wine stores near a drug store?  Since we usually cruise from Miami, we can get both wine and other supplies at CVS, but I believe wine is currently only available in liquor stores in NJ.

I would Google a liquor store near where you are staying the night before.

1. Think of November in the NY Tri-state area like October back home.  It can be 60s (20C) and it can be 30s (0C).  Snow is possible.  What would you wear?  I mostly wear a light jacket.  Towards the end of the month I'm usually pulling out the winter coat.
  2. Just past the port is a shopping center called, South Cove Commons.  Beyond that is Bayonne Crossing Shopping Center.  I think there is a liquor store and a Walmart and a bunch of other shops.  There are also fast food restaurants, but personally I would save my appetite for the ship.  Either that or stop in a diner along the way.  Always the way to go in NJ.
  3. There should be a drug store there too.  Just looked, and doesn't look like it, but the Super Shop and Stop will probably have what you're looking for.  There are also nearby CVS and Walgreens drug stores.  About 5 minutes away.
  4. Park at the port!  It's $20/day, but it's so super easy that I recommend it over other options.  People sometimes park at outside facilities and they have had their cars damaged at these facilities.  Other than that, hit a diner along your way.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the info everybody!

I had been a little concerned that we would be driving straight through and be waiting to get onboard (i.e. no hotel room, so we would be stuck in the car, thus looking for a long slow breakfast to kill time)  but upon further discussion, we are planning to get a hotel room part way down, maybe around Scranton.   So we should be less stressed upon arrival! :D

If we stop in Scranton, we can hopefully get some supplies there.

Very excited!  Now to post a second cruise question!!!!

1 hour ago, guittech said:

Thanks for the info everybody!

I had been a little concerned that we would be driving straight through and be waiting to get onboard (i.e. no hotel room, so we would be stuck in the car, thus looking for a long slow breakfast to kill time)  but upon further discussion, we are planning to get a hotel room part way down, maybe around Scranton.   So we should be less stressed upon arrival! :D

If we stop in Scranton, we can hopefully get some supplies there.

Very excited!  Now to post a second cruise question!!!!

I think this is a smart choice. The last thing you want is to be exhausted on embarkation day and miss out on some of the activities. 

Only thing that I'll add, being a native and lifelong New Jerseyan, is to allow some extra time on embarkation day for construction delays when driving the last leg to the port. Newark is one of those cities that always has some road or another under construction / repair and causing delays. If not Newark itself, then one of the myriad highways that surround it. Assuming you're using GPS to make your way, just listen to it if it says it can save you two minutes here five there and shows any red marked roads ahead of you. I didn't listen a few times and it cost me FAR more than the alleged few minutes.

Everyone else's comments about the weather have been spot on, nothing to add there. And I don't live close enough to the port (solid hour away) to recommend any places other than what was already given by @BrianAlt and @whenismynextcruise.