Kids and their SeaPass

I did a couple of searches and couldn't find any current information. I am trying to plan out how these cards will be carried around and who will carry them.

I have a 5 and 9 year old going on their first cruises, what will they need their cards for besides leaving and returning to the ship? 

And does RC still give the kids lanyards to carry these cards in?

Thanks

Lanyards are not provided. The cards are only really only needed to ping on/off the ship at ports unless you're going to allow them to make their own purchases on the ship (arcade, drinks, etc.) Most parents of kids I know hold onto their kids' cards. Even some of the older kids the parents keep the cards with them so the kids can't go back to their rooms unsupervised or without permission or use the cards to make purchases without permission.

9 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Most parents of kids I know hold onto their kids' cards. Even some of the older kids the parents keep the cards

This would not fly with my young nieces, lol. They love going to get their own Diamond drinks (and have been well taught to tip when ordering them). They do keep their sea passes in a lanyard (along with a few dollars of tip money).

5 year old, probably best kept with you.  But if you have a soda or drink package and want the 9 year old to use it on their own, then they will need the card.  Lanyards are cheap, I order them in bulk on Amazon and use them with my family.  I get the ones with the clear plastic pouches that are detachable and they can easily give them to the bartenders or whomever for their drinks. 

2 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

This would not fly with my young nieces, lol. They love going to get their own Diamond drinks (and have been well taught to tip when ordering them). They do keep their sea passes in a lanyard (along with a few dollars of tip money).

I think it's more of a keeping the swiping in check..making the kiddo ask for the card and to get a drink so they don't down 65 pina coladas and go into a sugar coma.

1 minute ago, AshleyDillo said:

I think it's more of a keeping the swiping in check..making the kiddo ask for the card and to get a drink so they don't down 65 pina coladas and go into a sugar coma.

Nah, I get it. They never go off on their own and they ask before using their vouchers. One of them overdid the daiquiris once... I won't go into detail. 🙈

1 hour ago, AshleyDillo said:

58 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Nah, I get it. They never go off on their own and they ask before using their vouchers. One of them overdid the daiquiris once... I won't go into detail. 🙈

My 11 year-old at the time went overboard with pina coladas and milk shakes from Johnny Rockets using the refreshment package on day one of his first cruise.  He learned his lesson with a massive bellyache that night and was a lot more responsible the following days.  But he loved being able to go to the bar by the pool like an adult whenever he wanted.  I am taking him again next Christmas and the first thing he asked was if I was going to get him the drink package again.  I do go to guest services and have them shut off his ability to make purchases with his sea pass. 

The past two cruises (Sept 2023 on Liberty and Dec 2023 on Adventure) my girls have come back with multiple lanyards from the kids club.  They kept winning them.  We always bring our own but it was nice to get some extras for when they lose them between cruises! (Older ships you can have them punch a hole in the card, newer ships you need the plastic sleeve for the lanyard to store the card in)

My kiddos use lanyards when we cruise - while one does tend to try to push the sugar coma thing with drinks, the other just likes having it so she can access the room whenever she wants. They are also older than 5 or 9. I agree with @DoomSlayer that the 5 year old would probably do best with someone keeping their card, but the 9 year old would probably love the responsibility of having to keep track of their own card (via lanyard).