Amtrack Train NJ to cruise port.

Hello. My family and I ( party of 12) will be cruising this summer and taking the train into NJ since it works best for us. My family and I do not want to split up and wait for multiple Uber or taxi service's. Coming in a day early is not an option for us.  Any suggestions getting to cruise port?  Private shuttle  service? 
Thank you! 

• 2 weeks later...

I imagine that there is somewhere a decent private van service that would hold 12 + bags if Royal transport doesn't work out for you. I'd just look for private van service in the area with decent reviews on Yelp or TripAdvisor, then reach out to ask if they would do this trip.

And are you sure you don't want to split up/wait for a rideshare? You could do 3 Uber XLs - this is what my family of 4 always does when we have luggage. For 4 people, it is usually less expensive than a shuttle service. 

2 hours ago, ScottD said:

I've been curious about this, as well. Does anyone know if the amtrak station in Newark would be an easy uber ride to the port? 

I did this in May 2022: I stayed in the hotel next to Newark Penn Station and then took a Lyft to the port on embarkation morning. It was <20 minutes and perfectly pleasant.

(The only thing about the area around Newark Penn is that a lot of unhoused people hang out in and around the station, and I've seen people in reviews and on other forums who aren't used to cities be freaked out by that. I also travel to that station from the Boston area for work a couple of times a year — a month ago, most recently — so I can say with authority that it's heavily policed, and I've never been bothered or even looked at twice as a solo female traveler...but everyone's experience and comfort level with that sort of thing is different so your mileage may vary.)

I took AMTRAK TO Newark Penn Station in November 2023.  I took train the day of my cruise from Philly to Newark then took Uber to ship.  I took the early train as I had a check in time of 1130 am.  Train ride was only an hour from Philly to Newark. 

We are taking train from Virginia to NYC (Penn Station) and spending night near Times Square.   Anyone have a good suggestion for best way to get to port from Times Sq?

When ship returns to Bayonne, we plan to UBER from port to Newark train station for the ride back home to Virginia.   Will report back on how it went!

11 hours ago, Gilley said:

I took AMTRAK TO Newark Penn Station in November 2023.  I took train the day of my cruise from Philly to Newark then took Uber to ship.  I took the early train as I had a check in time of 1130 am.  Train ride was only an hour from Philly to Newark. 

I THINK we might try that this time around, last time was in October so we drove but coming up in July we may try the train\uber thing

Just an FYI, while Amtrak from Philly to Newark Penn Station is far quicker, it is pricey. An alternative is to take SEPTA's Regional Rail from Philly (any of the three Philly stations) to Trenton and then switch trains to NJ Transit. It does take longer, but it is far less expensive. The train transfer is super easy. Both trains will either be across the platform from each other or one behind the other. Just a short walk on the platform and you have switched trains.

Living north of Philly we actually drive to Trenton and  take NJ Transit whenever we visit NYC. 

We will be driving to & parking at the port, but the train is an excellent option.

Edited by minniemouse27
Added train transfer information.