Solo Cruisers Meetup Question

Is the Solo Cruisers Meetup usually people who are single looking to hookup or people just looking to hang out?

I've always cruised with my brother or a friend but I'm taking my first cruise with just my daughter (5 years old but has special needs so is like traveling with a baby) and wondering if it's worth my time to attend.

Sadly, all self led events are horrible. They are usually in a bar at 5pm when 200 people are in there gathering for drinks before dinner. There are no employees to help you so you have no idea who is part of the activity. Celebrity has an employee at the door for the first 15 minutes and a table reserved for the group. Royal needs to do what Celebrity does or have a reserved table and a sign

On 12/16/2023 at 11:19 PM, TravelingBeyondBoundaries said:

Is the Solo Cruisers Meetup usually people who are single looking to hookup or people just looking to hang out?

I've always cruised with my brother or a friend but I'm taking my first cruise with just my daughter (5 years old but has special needs so is like traveling with a baby) and wondering if it's worth my time to attend.

The experience will vary by ship and those traveling.

i was just on Anthem last month and the solo meet up was at 5pm-disappointing as that was early seating time.  After 2 days in the main dining room with one particular table mate who was not at all personable I decided to go to the 5pm meet up and dine in the windjammer later.  I’m glad I did.  I met some wonderful people and enjoyed 5pm “wineo’clock”.  It was a mix of a few guys and a few gals.  
I’ve been on ships where the meet up was in the Schoonerbar at 7pm (Jewel of the seas)  there was no  way to tell who was solo. 
I’ve found a great way to meet other solos is to run a meet and greet of your own on day 1 of the sailing.  You can arrange that if there is a Facebook group for your sailing and set up an event.  You could also ask for a shared table at dinner and you might hit it off with a table mate.  When I’ve done shared tables I at least have friendly faces every night. (The exception being the one man on Anthem)

the only cruise line with a good Solo Travelers meeting is the Norwegian big Ships because they have a Solo Coordinator, and they also have a solo lounge.  I have found the ones on RCL are not good but that does not main not to go.  You will go to an open bar with lots of people.  But go and hang out and look around.  It is good if you can get a table and set by yourself.  there are other Solo like yourself looking for other Solo Travelers you just have to figure out who each other are.  

Note:   One of the best things to do is meet the other Solo Travelers on Cruise Critic or Facebook for your cruise before you go.  Then setup a meeting time.

On 12/24/2023 at 10:38 AM, TravelingBeyondBoundaries said:

Thanks, I'll pass lol

You should give it a go , I have never found it a hook up just people to talk to .

It’s always different,the lunch just meet at a place outside the MDR and someone takes the group in.  
The happy hour is pretty unorganised,just take a seat at the bar and take it from there. If you don’t like it just leave.