Newbies to Royal Caribbean

Hello all!  We just switched cruise lines for an upcoming cruise to Royal Caribbean - Oasis of the Seas!  I'm a little overwhelmed with the website and all the choices for dining, etc.  I would appreciate any advice on what to book beforehand and what you recommend if you've cruised on her before.  Thank you so much in advance.

We've cruised Celebrity and NCL in the past but this is a whole new ballgame!

I have my first Oasis class cruise coming up on Harmony in February, so I can't help you there, but I would love to hear why you switched to RC, especially from NCL.  Every time I look at cruises I consider NCL, but research always seems to push me to RC as being a little bit better.  I may have to just bite the bullet and do one on NCL one of these days.  

Reserve entertainment now, especially Comedy Club since that venue is small.  CATS has gotten mixed reviews with many leaving at intermission, but we enjoyed the show.  As for specialty dining, we were impressed with 150 Central and have booked it again for our upcoming cruise on Oasis in November.  There was a very recent review of 150 Central posted to the blog; have a look. 

Welcome to the light side!  We had cookies too, but I think they took that perk away.  Regardless, you'll have fun.  People say to book your shows beforehand, but dining can probably wait until you're onboard (others will chime in with more detailed answers), depending on what you're looking for in your dining.  I only do 1 or 2 specialty restaurants, so we just decide onboard.  The main dining room and windjammer buffet are sufficient (unless you're uber picky, or have a ton of crazy allergies).

32 minutes ago, DDemuth said:

Reserve entertainment now, especially Comedy Club since that venue is small.  CATS has gotten mixed reviews with many leaving at intermission, but we enjoyed the show.  As for specialty dining, we were impressed with 150 Central and have booked it again for our upcoming cruise on Oasis in November.  There was a very recent review of 150 Central posted to the blog; have a look. 

Do I reserve right on the website?  My travel agent just booked it yesterday so when I went online to reserve entertainment it said it wasn't available at this time?

33 minutes ago, RestingBirds said:

Welcome to the light side!  We had cookies too, but I think they took that perk away.  Regardless, you'll have fun.  People say to book your shows beforehand, but dining can probably wait until you're onboard (others will chime in with more detailed answers), depending on what you're looking for in your dining.  I only do 1 or 2 specialty restaurants, so we just decide onboard.  The main dining room and windjammer buffet are sufficient (unless you're uber picky, or have a ton of crazy allergies).

I like the main dining room - I don't have a specific seating time on my reservation - is that how it is :-)?

7 minutes ago, Erika1971 said:

Do I reserve right on the website?  My travel agent just booked it yesterday so when I went online to reserve entertainment it said it wasn't available at this time?

7 minutes ago, Erika1971 said:

The entertainment reservations usually arent open till you get closer to sail time.  I seem to think about 90 days out.  You will probably want to get reservations for the Aqua Theatre show, Cats,  Comedy show or just about any venue you would want to see.  The reservations are free and you can cancel anytime.  Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Have your travel agent set up your early or late dinner preference and also request a table size.  If you are traveling in a group or just as a couple you can request a table for two or a table for however many people are in your party.  I think you will really enjoy yourself on the Oasis so get there early so you can explore the ship as there is a lot to see.

1 hour ago, Erika1971 said:

Yes, depends on your cruise dates.  Entertainment reservations for our Nov 5 cruise opened on July 4, but there is no specific schedule for this or for specialty dining reservations.  Just keep checking the Cruise Planner starting about 120 days out. 

As others have said, make entertainment reservations in advance. However, you can also arrive 20-30 minutes early and wait in the standby line. We were able to get into a couple of shows doing this rather than waiting for the day we had reserved. This is harder to do with the Aqua Theater, though. 

4 hours ago, Erika1971 said:

I like the main dining room - I don't have a specific seating time on my reservation - is that how it is :-)?

Yes, if you have my time dining, you can eat in the MDR any time.  We always use MTD, and set up 5:30 for the whole week, once we're on board, but can change it any day, for any time.

• 7 months later...

I am sailing on the Oasis, July 1, 2018. I thought reservations were open 90 days before the cruise? Paid activities are available, and have been for awhile, but I can't make show reservations and I'm 88 days out. Cruise Planner says I should try onboard,  or I'm too far out from sailing. I hope I'm not missing something and shows sell out. Someone at RCCL told me they probably "had not been loaded yet" and I should keep checking back. Any insight would be appreciated. By the way, I reserved through Travelocity, and I was never asked about a dining preference. They evidently automatically assigned me to "My Time Dining", which I absolutely do NOT want...heard too many negative comments. And RCCL could change it...had to call Travelocity. And early seating was booked and has a wait list. I had to switch to late seating and get on wait list for early seating. If the wait list option doesn't work, I was advised to speak to the maitre'D on the first day and see if he can help. Fingers crossed, but might have to re-work my preferred schedule to accommodate late seating. In the future, I will book directly with RCCL and make sure I request my dining seating time up front.

its normally not an issue to choose your seating at time of booking on any travel site I have used. All my cruises I am pretty sure I have so it may just be Travelocity's site?

Royal's website is known to be a little funky at times so I would just keep logging in each day and hopefully the option will be there to chose your shows.

Dining option just never came up in the process. I assumed it would be a selection later, like now. I haven't cruised in over 15 years, and a lot has changed! But every time I log into Royal Caribbean's website, I get a pop-up that says changes can only be made on reservations made through Royal Caribbean, but early check-in and activities can be made through the Cruise Planner. It certainly isn't intuitive or user friendly. And, evidently, things are not standardized on when things can be done. I'm hoping to take more and more cruises...and prefer to earn loyalty points with one cruise line...so I hope this gets easier in the future!

1 hour ago, Dolittle81 said:

I thought reservations were open 90 days before the cruise?

Anywhere between 75-90 days the entertainment usually shows up, don't worry though, they never "Sell out", a lot of people don't reserve their shows they show up and grab a seat, just be 15 minuets ahead of the show time and you should have an issue.

Dinning options will get sorted out, but if not just go to the main dinning room on the first day and see what is available.