Does this bode well for Royal UP?

RCIfan1912

A month or more ago we bid on a bunch of suites only from a balcony GTY. Junior suite, 1 bedroom Grand suite, 2 bedroom Grand suite. Really didn't think much of it. We are now 47 days out and I said what the heck let's see what's left in this categories. No junior suites left but like 10+ each of the 1 and 2 bedroom Grand suites still available. I mean 47 days to go sound like there is a good chance of upgrade? You guys with now experience with UP can tell me? Thanks. 

5 minutes ago, Traveling Mike said:

What you are forgetting is people with junior suites probably have bids in for the Grand suites also.  RCL will make more money giving them the Royal Up then giving you the Junior suite.

Yes, I forgot to add that to my post. Some of those in the junior suites might move up making room for us to at least get a junior suite. I'm totally ok with that scenario too. 

Since a ship has several thousand guests there are always last minute changes going on.  RoyalUp is also around to manage last minute inventory that becomes available so it doesn't go to waste or given away for free to a Pinnacle or Diamond Plus member.  With folks like yourself submitting bids that's all in place and ready to go in the event someone cancels at the last minute.

Life happens.  Guests have unexpected events in their life or in a family member's life were all of a sudden a cruise vacation just isn't that important compared to something that just occured out of the blue.  

I had a real estate deal falling apart.  Had I not missed my cruise I would have lost the deal.  Only because I chose to make the real estate transaction more important did the deal go through.  It was hard walking away from a couple thousand dollar cruise but I had a good real estate deal lined up that saved me much more than that.

A child had an unexpected change in their bootcamp graduation date.  That was more important than a cruise so I walked away from the cruise.  What was I going to do?  Miss the graduation?  Nope.  

What happened to my cabin on those cruises?  I'll never know.  

When there are three, four, five, six thousand or more guests on a ship there will always be a handful of people who have last minute changes impact their ability to cruise.  

In the early days of RU, I would win consistently from either balcony or JS to sky class (mostly CLS) but lately zero luck. I’m still bidding the same and on some occasions more money but still no luck. The demand for cruising is through the roof and the upgrade program has become a pipe dream. I still bid for every sailing but the expectations are set very low.