Beverage Package question

Jkf1897

Hey all,

Thanks for your time. 

Quick question-My girlfriend who will be in my cabin on our next cruise has a medical condition that prevents her from drinking anything but hot water and decaf tea and coffee. This includes sodas and any non-alcoholic drinks and naturally alcoholic drinks. I know the standard is that someone has to buy the refreshment package if the other in the room has the alcohol package, but that's going to be a waste of $200+ dollars based on what she can and cannot have.

Is it possible to ask RC to waive the required refreshment package for her-Maybe substitute the refreshment package for the water package or Cafe Card? Has anyone had any luck doing so? 

Thanks!

Doesn't hurt to ask, but it's unlikely.  You'll likely have to do your calculations on the cost of 1 refreshment and 1 DBP and see if that makes sense for you both vs paying a la carte.

Of course with refreshment she would can get the water and coffee so there may be some value.  Sounds like an a la carte cruise.

Let us know what they say.

If you call, they will offer the refreshment package instead like others suggest. If you want less than that, they will ask you for a signed doctors note. It will have to be sent while you are on the phone with them(they didn't let me take down an email and send later). So if you plan to do this, just have the letter ready and if legit you can probably make it work.

1 hour ago, Jkf1897 said:

Thanks all,

My other more sneaky plan is that my dad will be solo in one room, and since we share the same first and last name I'm going to "borrow" his drink package card when he's not using it. 

Please don't do this. The pass is tied to your sea pass card, and your photo will display on the screen when they scan the card. If you get caught the package could be revoked without a refund. I recommend swapping your dad and girl friend on the reservation, and then you both get the package and she won't have to if she's in a cabin by herself. 

Well I called, and even with a letter from her Doctor's they wouldn't budge. They wanted me to buy the drink package at full price ($90 per day) and for her the refreshment package ($32 per day)-no option to buy a water or café card package for her.

I asked if I could have the discounted price as advertised on my RC cruise page ($66/day) but nope. So no thanks to a $610 drink package for a 5 day cruise which would go to waste for her. 

A LA Carte for me.. I better not hear from a bartender like I did last time "You should get the drink package!" because I think he was annoyed on running my card after 2 times.

I did consider that and thank you for the idea. I don't think my 78 year old dad should be drinking more than a couple of beers on moving vessel. The drink package wouldn't be worth for him.

Plus I don't want to room with him.. Sorry dad haha.

Everyone is going to bring a bottle of wine onboard for me, so I'm going to have 5 bottles for my room-even though I hate wine, I'll still take some softy wine that isn't too rich.

I see, you indicated earlier that your dad was getting DBP.  You don't have to actually room with him.  Once you get onboard go to guest services and they'll move you to the room with your GF.

Regardless, you'll have a great cruise.  Enjoy it!

19 minutes ago, KJones said:

What about putting your dad and GF in the same room/reservation since neither of them are getting the drink package. Once on board you get extra room keys so you call can change your sleeping arrangements as you want.

Hmm.. That's a good idea, but would they really give someone two seapass cards? Otherwise I'm stuck with his room key, and vice versa making that a bit of logistical nightmare for when he wants to go to his room. I would think it would be just one card per person, and if you said you lost it they'd deactivate it immediately and replace it.

Yes they do it one of 2 ways.  They issue a separate card that is just a key for each room or my preference, they just swap the people and redo your one seapass card.

We do it with our teenagers when they aren't in a room next door or across the hall.