Level of risk?

Bingee

We are doing the Western Med. cruise later in the year and I am planning to source most excursions myself, the only one which worries me is Pisa & Florence from La Spezia.  Is it worth the extra £100 per head via RC to ensure getting back on the boat or will one of the many other operators get us back on time?
Also do you have any recommendations, please.

As long as you are using very established and reputable companies, you will be just fine. Their entire business is so heavily dependent on making it back in time, that just even a single instance of cruisers missing a ship would ruin them. Yes crap happens and RC will give you that peace of mind….but your odds of missing the ship with a reputable 3rd party company is very very close to zero. Microscopically small. Do your diligence and research and you will be OK. 

50 minutes ago, Bingee said:

Is it worth the extra £100 per head via RC to ensure getting back on the boat or will one of the many other operators get us back on time?

Heck no. As mentioned, there are tons of legit third-party excursions all over the world. It will take some research, but usually results in getting more for less. Look for the companies that have been around for years, because they wouldn't be around that long if they made customers miss the ship. 

4 hours ago, Bingee said:

We are doing the Western Med. cruise later in the year and I am planning to source most excursions myself, the only one which worries me is Pisa & Florence from La Spezia.  Is it worth the extra £100 per head via RC to ensure getting back on the boat or will one of the many other operators get us back on time?

If you’re on Facebook, go join Cruise Tips and Tricks for Mediterranean Routes. You can search Pisa/Florence in the group and/or ask for 3rd party tour recommendations. That group and the group Discover Italy are how I found the tour groups we booked with