Port in St. Thomas

HeatherP

3 hours ago, HeatherP said:

We are going to St Thomas for the 1st time in December.  Is shopping easily accessible within walking distance?

Which ship will you be on? There are two piers where the cruise ships tie up at. One is an easy walk into town, the other not so much. Let us know.😎

We were on Symphony in March, stopping in St. Thomas.  If there is more than one port available to the big ships in St. Thomas, I guess I wouldn't know. 

Apparently we were at Crown Bay, where we boarded a ferry to St. John.  The same area has some shopping, and the area was quite nice. The walk was fairly short.  

https://www.iqcruising.com/ports/caribbean/st.thomas/at-the-pier-crown-bay.html

IMG-3846.jpg

St-Thomas-USVI.jpg

AshleyDillo has it exactly correct. You will dock at Crown Bay and want to jump on one “taxis” to Charlotte Amalie. It’s less than $10pp each way. There are not traditional taxis on St Thomas, they use these open air jungle bus/troop carrier vehicles. 

Charlotte is where all the action is. If there were a world record for nearly identical jewelry shops that sell glittery silver, Charlotte Amalie is the undisputed heavyweight champion. But people have their favorite stores, or more correctly stated; favorite family clan they enjoy buying from; myself included.

For something off the beaten path and kinda a ‘those who know, know’ place, try the Taphus Beer House in the back of the Caribbean Surf Co. It’s like a speakeasy and they don’t make any effort to tell you that it is there. For the total lack of marketing dollars, all that money went into the decor and……it’s kinda air conditioned! It’s a very hip, cool place and they have tasty craft beers.

On 7/6/2023 at 5:58 PM, HeatherP said:

We will be on the Wonder.

Sorry Heather, I do not believe the Wonder docks at the port closest to the shopping area. The larger ships dock across the bay and you can take a taxi to the shopping area. Someone correct me if I am incorrect on this.😎