St. Maarten Lunch Recommendations - no shellfish!

CrimsonCruiser

Hello! Our upcoming cruise in August will mark our first visit to St. Maarten and while we do have a quick tour for the morning, we'd love to take in some local food instead of getting windjammer on the ship. Our main restrictions:

• mom has shellfish allergy. She can be in a place where it is cooked but cannot eat any.
  • Ideally no more than a 10 minute walk from the port since our tour is with Royal and we'll be dropped back off at the port.

Where do you guys recommend?

Thanks.  That was a great question.  I also have a severe shellfish allergy, but I can't be any where I can smell it, especially Lobster and Shrimp.  As you can guess, that limits us from many many places.  I'm always looking also for non-seafood places.  There haven't been alot, but I'll find some someplace.

On 6/29/2023 at 5:13 AM, FionaMG said:

Some of Royal's tours in St Martin will drop you off in town before heading back to the ship. It might be worth asking the guide on the day, unless you particularly want to go back to the ship to freshen up first.

I was definitely thinking of doing this - it doesn't hurt to ask at least. And now that I know that everyone is recommending taking the ferry into town anyway sounds like it could be a good plan

46 minutes ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

I was definitely thinking of doing this - it doesn't hurt to ask at least. And now that I know that everyone is recommending taking the ferry into town anyway sounds like it could be a good plan

Yep. Then you can either get the ferry back or ask the place where you have lunch to call you a cab. The queues and waits for the ferry back to the ship can be quite long in the afternoon and it can be crowded. A cab would not only be quicker but more comfortable and you'd probably still have time to browse the shops in the port area itself.

St Martin is one of our favourite ports. I hope you enjoy it. 🥰

@CrimsonCruiser i feel like it was around $7-8? per person

be sure to pay at the hut/stand in town BEFORE you hit the actual ferries. i swear they charge you more. 

also i’m pretty sure there is a coupon for like $2 off the water taxi in the RCI flyer for st maarten. at least there used to be. 

we go to the holland house every single time we go to st maarten and it’s our favorite port/stop. HIGHLY recommend. 

IMG_3176.jpeg

iguana friends at the water taxi!

IMG_3180.jpeg

the white building is the holland house!

IMG_3217.jpeg

holland house deal!!