Price Increases

34 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Try using a TA. They often have refundable deposit prices that are lower than non-refundable going straight through RC.

Thanks for the info, good to know.  I will have to test that theory out when we are ready to commit to another sailing. 

Just now, DublinFC said:

Thanks for the info, good to know.  I will have to test that theory out when we are ready to commit to another sailing. 

I'm new to the TA stuff myself; happy to pass it along.

Never cared about refundable in the past b/c we tended to book last minute deals with an hour drive to PC. Had to start booking further out now that prices went nuts.

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

I'm new to the TA stuff myself; happy to pass it along.

Never cared about refundable in the past b/c we tended to book last minute deals with an hour drive to PC. Had to start booking further out now that prices went nuts.

I prefer to handle the reservations on my own, but if using a TA will now save me some money then I will check into it.  Or, just pick a date and know we are sticking to it.  

52 minutes ago, DublinFC said:

I prefer to handle the reservations on my own, but if using a TA will now save me some money then I will check into it.  Or, just pick a date and know we are sticking to it.  

Yeah, get in touch with MEI.  It's not every cruise or every room type, but they have blocks of "Group Rate" rooms and if they have them there is usually a nice discount and the deposit refundable.  Plus they often throw in some OBC.

My last 2 cruises, there was not group availability for the cabin we take with 3 guests, but in both cases there was group availability for the 2 person balcony cabins and we saved literally about $700 on one and $1800 on the other for that cabin.  They were also refundable which is nice.  Worst case is the same price.  Never more.

54 minutes ago, DublinFC said:

I did too, I get it, but once you start working with a good TA (like MEI) you will likely find it's not that big of a deal. You still do most of the planning yourself.

I had a similar experience as Xaa above, just with lower amounts b/c it's just 2 of us in a cheap cabin. if I saved $1800 my cruise would be almost free. 🤣

50 minutes ago, Xaa said:

The $1800 savings was an Icon booking so that's a category in itself, but the $700 was real on one Balcony cabin on an inexpensive cruise.  It was like 30% lower than I could book it directly the same day.  Might have just been luck, both certainly made me feel lucky.

Yeah, Icon is just nuts, congrats on the savings.

Doing some better math for my own cruises, the price I got on an interior on Wonder for March next year (spring break) was about $800 less than had I booked myself online. It's even more now. Didn't save quite as much for Wonder next June but still saved a nice amount.

Wonder isn't Icon but it's prices were pretty inflated all along. Now I'm just waiting to see how much the Utopia inaugural sailing from PC is. 🤞🤣

2 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Wonder isn't Icon but it's prices were pretty inflated all along. Now I'm just waiting to see how much the Utopia inaugural sailing from PC is. 🤞🤣

But it is Wonder.  I would have waited on Icon, but my oldest is graduating college and when asked if he wanted to take a graduation trip, his only reply was ICON.

We'll enjoy it, but we would enjoy Wonder probably as much with the exception of the newness/bragging part of it.

A few others looked to join us and of course the group rooms are gone and the current price is higher making a Balcony around $3200 more today than we paid with our Group and refundable rate.

11 minutes ago, Xaa said:

But it is Wonder.  I would have waited on Icon, but my oldest is graduating college and when asked if he wanted to take a graduation trip, his only reply was ICON.

We'll enjoy it, but we would enjoy Wonder probably as much with the exception of the newness/bragging part of it.

Damn you and your being such a great parent! 😁

The prices are insane. 3000+ pp on Junior Suite when I checked earlier today when before the suite policy the same ship and date has a Junior Suite going for a tiny bit over 2000+ pp. The price has decreased because of the sale and maybe some other factors but it is still more expensive than the original price that I first saw. I thought the suite policy only applied to suites that are 2500+ so my question is, is this caused by the suite policy, inflation, or being closer to the cruise date? Thanks

9 hours ago, Dumpling214 said:

The prices are insane. 3000+ pp on Junior Suite when I checked earlier today when before the suite policy the same ship and date has a Junior Suite going for a tiny bit over 2000+ pp. The price has decreased because of the sale and maybe some other factors but it is still more expensive than the original price that I first saw. I thought the suite policy only applied to suites that are 2500+ so my question is, is this caused by the suite policy, inflation, or being closer to the cruise date? Thanks

The price of cruises will usually increase the closer you get to a sail date. Inflation is also a main reason, along with demand, for the price increases. In all honesty I doubt the new deposit amount for suites has anything to do with price increases. 

13 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

The price of cruises will usually increase the closer you get to a sail date. Inflation is also a main reason, along with demand, for the price increases. In all honesty I doubt the new deposit amount for suites has anything to do with price increases. 

The cruise is one year from now on, so I now remember to book as early as possible

Totally get it @DublinFC.  This forum would give you access to some resolution if you have difficulty with MEI.

I'm booking with them again today.  They have a special ongoing now to pay your gratuities if you book a balcony or suite between today and 06/18 and sail between 08/01/2023 and 04/30/2024.  

Not every business is for every customer.

1 minute ago, Xaa said:

Totally get it @DublinFC.  This forum would give you access to some resolution if you have difficulty with MEI.

I'm booking with them again today.  They have a special ongoing now to pay your gratuities if you book a balcony or suite between today and 06/18 and sail between 08/01/2023 and 04/30/2024.  

Not every business is for every customer.

I might try them again, especially if we are able to join a group cruise.  I think it would be beneficial to book with them for that reason.

On 5/31/2023 at 7:29 AM, BrianB said:

I’ve noticed how some fast food places have combined raising prices with shrinking products. I really thought I was going through a mid-life growing spurt.

I was an IT consultant and during a dinner out with a client that was CIO of a large nationwide restaurant chain (sit down, not fast food).  He stated that the chain had started using plates that were 1" or 2" less in size (something like a 12" plate was replaced with a 10.5" plate).  He said that they had done studies and the smaller plates made it appear that you were getting more food.