Will GTY Room Assignment Change?

They can, they have (according to forum posters), but it is very rare. Of course, getting your assignment 120 days out is also very rare.

Since you got a GTY for the 1st time, if you booked from the US and aren't aware, you can ask to switch to any available cabin in the same exact category. Obviously you seem to like your cabin, just an FYI.

Congrats on the upgrade! I've booked a bunch of interior GTY's and the only upgrade I ever got was to a virtual balcony once.

hi,

The process must be different depending on the RC offices.
We always take GTY.
For our reservations of 05/2024 Odyssey and 09/2024 Anthem, we already have the cabin numbers (RC mail and application).
On our previous cruises, the cabins have not been modified.

7 minutes ago, cedricmr said:

hi,

The process must be different depending on the RC offices.
We always take GTY.
For our reservations of 05/2024 Odyssey and 09/2024 Anthem, we already have the cabin numbers (RC mail and application).
On our previous cruises, the cabins have not been modified.

Must be. Never ever heard of anyone in the US getting their GTY cabins assigned anywhere near that early. It can be as late as embarkation day here (although it's never been that late for me, personally).

That's great for you!

5 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

Must be. Never ever heard of anyone in the US getting their GTY cabins assigned anywhere near that early. It can be as late as embarkation day here (although it's never been that late for me, personally).

That's great for you!

We are US based, luckily right here in Florida.  I was shocked to see the assignment so soon.  The rest of our group is on a different floor so I’ll try and change the room to that floor.  I appreciate the advice on requesting a change within the same category.

• 1 month later...

We have cruised many times on RCL and is our favorite. Just booked an 8 day on the Mariner OTS and trying a guaranteed room for the first time. Mostly because the cost to pick your room now is a several hundred dollar premium for the ability to choose your room. In the past it was no charge or a very modest up charge. 
 Has anyone else had this happen to them? We can’t justify paying such a premium to just pick the room. ( the one we looked at the up charge was 1/2 of what the per person price was). 

Hoping that it works out well. 

23 minutes ago, Corner Marshall Bill said:

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Yes, I used to always book GTY's even if the savings was smaller.

You may want to look into using a TA like MEI (sponsor of this site). You may be able to get rates below the GTY price you see on the RC site and be able to choose your own cabin.

In the meantime, if you're not familiar, you can often find out your cabin location before it is officially assigned using the bar code trick. Once you have checked in at 45 days out...

Bar Code Trick

Method 1. If you have an Apple device, add your set sail pass to your Apple wallet. Numbers will now appear under your bar code. The numbers after the dash represent your cabin.

Method 2. Scan the bar code with a QR scanner from another device and that should also show you the numbers.

NOTE: If you see "GTY" instead of numbers, you truly haven't been assigned yet. One tip off is that if you don't see a muster station on your set sail pass then you almost definitely don't have an assignment yet.

Update:  Since our GTY cabin was already assigned, I took the advice of you smart people and  I called our travel agent and requested a room change to a different available room in the same category.  I’m now directly next to our friends.  They paid significantly more to choose their cabin.  The GTY deal worked out very well for us and I sure appreciate the advice for changing the cabin!

1 hour ago, Corner Marshall Bill said:

We have cruised many times on RCL and is our favorite. Just booked an 8 day on the Mariner OTS and trying a guaranteed room for the first time. Mostly because the cost to pick your room now is a several hundred dollar premium for the ability to choose your room. In the past it was no charge or a very modest up charge. 
 Has anyone else had this happen to them? We can’t justify paying such a premium to just pick the room. ( the one we looked at the up charge was 1/2 of what the per person price was). 

Hoping that it works out well. 

I don't remember a time when the difference between a GTY and choosing your own was less than a $100 to $150 minimum difference. Anyway.....

Go into it with no expectations. Think of your cabin as a place to shower and sleep. It's an adventure. You never know what deck etc you will like till you try it. If you do this you will have no disappointment. I've never had anything but GTY cabins and never was unhappy. 

53 minutes ago, Randolphs Seafood said:

Update:  Since our GTY cabin was already assigned, I took the advice of you smart people and  I called our travel agent and requested a room change to a different available room in the same category.  I’m now directly next to our friends.  They paid significantly more to choose their cabin.  The GTY deal worked out very well for us and I sure appreciate the advice for changing the cabin!

In the past, this is one reason we didn't mind GTY's besides not caring a ton about our location. The ability to switch mitigated the risk of getting a location we truly didn't care for.

• 7 months later...