Utopia of the seas

Karl306

we suspect that royal is still really pushing full steam ahead with the launch of icon, and the news about utopia is few and far in between for now. the latest we heard is that in july of '22, they broke (ground) steel (?) -- whatever the nautical term is for,  they're building!! 😂

here is the RCCL news center: https://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/ship/36/utopia-of-the-seas/

https://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/video/1235/utopia-of-the-seas-construction-update-royal-caribbean-lays-keel-marking-first-milestone//

29 minutes ago, GatorCruiser said:

The real question is the likelihood we ever see her in the North American market 

Utopia is supposed to launch in 2024. The silence might imply that she could be delayed, however icon 2 is set for 2025 as well. With so many mega ships it's inevitable that one will be in Asia.

Wonder was supposed to be deployed to Asia but given that areas covid response it made no sense. Utopia could end up there instead (central Park greenery on wonder was completely redone when they changed her to North America so it might be unlikely for her to moved back to Asia )

A recent press announcement still lists 2024 as her launch date.  The shipyard wants it done on time.   They hold the bulk of the value of the ship on their books until it transfers.  They are highly motivated to get it done on time.  

I've always assumed it was heading to China but perhaps they will be more careful to keep it closer to a global ship that is easily moved compared to how Wonder was.  Utopia works well in Asia culture I think.  I'd be surprised to learn it's coming to America unless it's just a short stint to capitalize on the craze that Wonder achieved when they brought her here on short notice.  However as China positions itself in the world it may lead to a environment where it doesn't make business sense to send her there.  I'm guessing they'll keep it secret for another year to see how that plays out.  

I think in one of Matt's recent videos, he said, we're not likely to get anymore news on Utopia until Icon's inaugural on January 27th. That's because Icon is their newest product they're trying to promote, they want people to get excited about Icon. The same thing happened when Wonder was being built, they hype up Wonder, get people excited, then when she finally launches, then they start coming out with news about Icon.