Freedom, playmakers and March madness

Matt690

Hi,

I’m planning a cruise for March, and a cruise I am considering is on the freedom of the seas on 3/17.  This happens to be the opening weekend of March madness.  A few people in my party are big sports fans and have a concern that 7-8 years ago, they don’t remember significant sports coverage on Royal caribbean.

I know since then, playmakers was added and I also read the article below about added sports programming on Royal caribbean.

Does anyone know if March madness games will be shown on the ship and if they are capable of getting a decent number of the games?  I’m wondering if playmakers, in addition to the pool deck and other bars would have the games broadcasted.

they will absolutely have NCAA tournament games on in playmakers.  there are obviously a ton of games that weekend so can't guarantee they will have every single one showing, but they will certainly have the top seeds and more popular schools' games.  we were just on freedom a couple weeks ago and loved playmakers, it's absolutely huge and their food is really good too.  covered in TV's, you can see they had NFL games and highlights shows, soccer, covered the trip in a live blog in another part of the message boards here.

image.png.3a62f2a5044e291b3d8002568646cc4d.png

On 2/8/2023 at 11:31 AM, dr martini said:

they will absolutely have NCAA tournament games on in playmakers.  there are obviously a ton of games that weekend so can't guarantee they will have every single one showing, but they will certainly have the top seeds and more popular schools' games. 

There are literally only four feeds for the entire tournament and never more than four games at once. 

One thing for everyone to be aware of (we found this out on our Wonder sailing last March) is that RCL only has the international sports package from ESPN, thus limiting March Madness viewing options on the ship's big screen tvs.

My son and I ended up having to watch some games on our phones so as not to miss out on our favorite teams.