drive to port or stay at a nearby hotel and shuttle in?

My family and I are going on the Allure of the seas this summer and we are going to drive down to Fort Lauderdale. What would be the best option as far as easily getting to the ship between driving in myself or staying at a local hotel and using their shuttle to get to my terminal? I have never been to this port so any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1 minute ago, 2017 cruiser said:

My family and I are going on the Allure of the seas this summer and we are going to drive down to Fort Lauderdale. What would be the best option as far as easily getting to the ship between driving in myself or staying at a local hotel and using their shuttle to get to my terminal? I have never been to this port so any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I find it best to get to the port the day before embarkation.  Too many bad things can happen, traffic jams, accidents, etc,  if you drive to the port from out of state on embarkation day that can cause you to miss the trip. No so much if you live in Florida though. The Hyatt Place Ft. Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port is an excellent place to stay for one night. Great breakfast included and  a free shuttle to the ship. If you want to drive to the port, I recommend this place for parking:https://bookparkngo.com/ftlauderdale.php. Free shuttle to and from the port. I have parked here a couple of times before and it is extremely safe and convenient, also easy to drive to. If you book on line, the price per day is around $8.00. If you wait until until you get there to pay it's like $12.00 a day. I always prepay when I book. Hope this helps, have a safe trip and enjoy the Allure, it will blow your mind!

Given that you're driving, I'd it for a hotel a little ways out from FLL as it will be cheaper. I've also found that most of the stay-Park-cruise packages aren't that much cheaper than staying out of the area and then paying to park at the port. In addition, there's less time wasted shuttling and you'll be able to hit the road immediately upon disembarkation. 

On 5/8/2017 at 9:13 AM, Matt said:

When I drive to the port, I park at the port.  Yes, it costs a bit more, but the convenience is hard to beat and you will be grateful for that convenience on disembarkation day when it's time to go home and you don't have to wait for a shuttle.

One of my best disembarkation experiences was when I drove to Baltimore and sailed from there.  We walked off the ship, the luggage was literally right there at the end of the gangway, and then we walked to the car without even having to cross a street (the parking is a large flat lot literally right where the ship was docked).  We had a leisurely breakfast and were still in the car and on the road by 8:15am or so.  I've had rougher times getting out of movie theaters.  

My travel agent has reserved a spot with the park n go site which came to around $61 for the week compared to $105 at the port. With the Allure being the only ship there for the May 21st sailing we should be okay as far as time wise getting on and off board. I will save nearly $45 this way.

1 hour ago, 2017 cruiser said:

My travel agent has reserved a spot with the park n go site which came to around $61 for the week compared to $105 at the port. With the Allure being the only ship there for the May 21st sailing we should be okay as far as time wise getting on and off board. I will save nearly $45 this way.

Good for you! Even with a couple of ships in port, it is not a problem. The Park 'N Go folks know what they are doing. By the way, don't be alarmed if you see monkeys climbing along the fence or running around the parking lot. I was told that they got loose from a nearby zoo during a hurricane  some years back and have made the port their home. Lots of trees, vegetation, etc.  Kind of cute actually. ......the monkeys that is. 

On 5/10/2017 at 1:53 PM, bcarney said:

One of my best disembarkation experiences was when I drove to Baltimore and sailed from there.  We walked off the ship, the luggage was literally right there at the end of the gangway, and then we walked to the car without even having to cross a street (the parking is a large flat lot literally right where the ship was docked).  We had a leisurely breakfast and were still in the car and on the road by 8:15am or so.  I've had rougher times getting out of movie theaters.  

You are so right --- with the proximity of I-95 to the Maryland Cruise Terminal - you just can't beat it.

5 hours ago, coneyraven said:

You are so right --- with the proximity of I-95 to the Maryland Cruise Terminal - you just can't beat it.

For us, there was the 4 miles I need to take to get to the freeway, and then the 4 miles after exiting the freeway to get to our hotel at Fell's Point.  All 596 miles in between was interstate highway.  Complete bliss! :)

18 hours ago, bcarney said:

For us, there was the 4 miles I need to take to get to the freeway, and then the 4 miles after exiting the freeway to get to our hotel at Fell's Point.  All 596 miles in between was interstate highway.  Complete bliss! :)

I just sent you a private message. 

On 5/13/2017 at 1:31 PM, cookie10* said:

How about the parking at Port Canaveral? Do you just follow directions to the port and follow signs to the parking? Is the parting right at the dock? Cost? Best location to park in the lots? If you use a hotel shuttle where do you pick them up?

Terminal 1 has parking right there.  Follow the signs.  5-10min to the front door once parked.  Not sure the cost.