Gift Certs Question

stevendom57

I just got a $100 RC gift certificate for Christmas. Woohoo.

I am planning on using it as OBC for a cruise in 2024. What happens if I put this GC on a cruise and then I cancel the cruise at final payment date? I guess I could just hang onto it and only use it once I have made final payment, but I am still wondering about what would happen to it in that case.

I know someone here knows the answer.

The gift certificates bought thru Royal Caribbean can be used to both help pay down your cruise, or be applied to your account as onboard credit. If you would like to use it to help pay down your cruise, do so at least 2 weeks before final payment for it may take some time for the payment to show up. I've always gone to my travel agent at least 2 weeks before final payment and have never had any problems with redeeming them. To use as onboard credit (which I haven't done in awhile), I believe the latest you need to have that applied to your cruise is at least 2 weeks before you sail, give or take a few days.

As for the third party gift certificates, those can be tricky. You have to read them very carefully. I had bought a bunch a few years ago at 10% off so it made allot of sense to get them and save money. I have not seen them available since, but nonetheless there were several hoops my travel agent had to jump thru in order to redeem them.