Fun things to do in Long Beach?

chy

Hi,

I am going on the Navigator on a Mexican cruise out of long beach. My partner and I are flying in four days early, since snow storms are reallyyyyy bad where we're from this time of year and we don't want to get caught at the airport. We have been looking for some fun things to do in Long Beach, where our hotel is, and wondering if anyone has any recommendations since we'll be there for awhile. Any suggestion for activities, stores, tours, places and food are more than welcome!

First, if you are on the Navigator of the Seas, you are NOT cruising out of Long Beach.  Only Carnival cruises out of Long Beach.  Royal Caribbean and everyone else other than Carnival cruises out of San Pedro--on the other side of the harbor...about 6-8 miles from Long Beach.  I will assume that you know that...and are merely staying in Long Beach prior to heading over to San Pedro to board the Navigator.

And, hopefully, you are staying in the "Convention Center" area of Long Beach--hopefully the Hyatt Regency, Hyatt Centric at the Pike, Renaissance or Westin...maybe the Maya Doubletree, Hilton or the Residence Inn Downtown...Those would be in the area of Long Beach best suited for tourism and those would be my "preferred" hotels.  Long Beach is a BIG city in and of itself...a population of around half a million.  It has some very nice parts and some very questionable parts--like most large cities.  

Also, with four nights pre-cruise, I wouldn't really recommend staying that long in Long Beach.  There are a few things to see and do there...just not four days worth.  And most of what most people want to do in the LA area are quite a distance from Long Beach.  For longer stays, I usually recommend Santa Monica--which is much nicer with much more to do locally and much closer to the typical tourist sights in Hollywood, Beverly Hills, etc.

If you are set on staying in Long Beach for four days, here is the short list of attractions:

1.  The Aquarium of the Pacific--very impressive aquarium.

2.  The Queen Mary--cool visit for ship fans wanting a glimpse of the passenger ships of a century ago.

3.  Touristy shopping at Shoreline Village and The Pike.

That is really about it for Long Beach.  If you have a rental car (or your own car if you drove there), you can drive anywhere else in the LA area--but you will spend some tie on the freeways.  If you don't have a rental car, but want to devote a day and see the Los Angeles area tourist sights, contact Sunseeker Tours--they are the only tour company doing LA tours with pick-ups in the harbor area...and they are pretty good at it.  Or, you can spend a lot of money (and time) on Ubers and head up to Venice Beach/Santa Monica and/or up to Hollywood or other places.

Good luck.