Cruise Discounts

skwak

Based upon your worldly experiences is there any rhyme or reason for the cadence of cruise discount on RCL?  It seems like there is always some discount running but they are all just a bit different.

We are planning a last minute Xmas vacation with a trip in January for the family.  We have our cruise selected now but when yesterday's promotion evaporated the price went up by $200 in total with the current promotion.  I am trying to gauge if I should just book anyway or try to be cute and hope for better discount in the future.  Compounding this situation is the fact that the current discount looks like it will expire on 1/2/23 which is way too late for my liking to book a 1/13 departure.

Any thoughts?  😀

If you are US or Canada based then you can always reprice if the rate drops before final payment due date so in that sense there is no point waiting to guess when the price has hit the lowest point.  Is that January 2023?  If so that doesn't help.

Historically the biggest impact to rates for a particular date are demand trends. When a sail date is selling well it's less likely to be discounted.  Holiday weekends will be premium and we see that trend now for MLK in January.

Since the shutdown and the massive losses from the pandemic we are seeing some different approaches to rates so my historical crystal ball is a little cloudy right now.

Travel agents sometimes have access to group rates so it's always a good idea to get a quote from a travel agent.  MEI Travel sponsors this site and would be a good start in that regard.  If group rates are available for your sail date you won't see them advertised by Royal or available directly. 

Sometimes you just have to swallow the cost and go for whatever is posted.  I usually find that prices may go down after I have booked, and I can reprice if I booked a long time ahead (and have not made final payment), but it depends on the itinerary and the popularity of the cruise.  I booked a RC Bahamas cruise a few months ago and the price did NOT go down on Black Friday.  I booked a Princess Europe cruise over a year ago and the price has remained exactly the same because the itinerary is somewhat unique.

I have also booked a few weeks before a cruise and gotten some good prices, but you need to be VERY flexible and not worry about airfare.  The other option is to book a lower category cabin and then try to go for an upgrade later.  Good luck!

If you are talking about cruising in January 2023, then you are already past the "payment date" and will only have a 48-hour window to reprice if the price changes.  Given it is only a little over a month out, if it is a trip you truly want to go on with the family, then I would go ahead and buy it.  I honestly do not think you will see a significant drop in price between now and January 13.  As rooms sell out with other last minute buyers, you run more of a risk of prices going up rather than down.